Mare Watch Thread

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laura&HerMinis

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I just bought a little mare, she’s bred to a little silver dapple! She’s five years old, buckskin and maiden. She’s coming today so can get better pics then. Tell me what kind of pics you guys need, she’s definitely bred though! In this photo it’s hard to tell, but I went to see her yesterday and she’s more “pointy” than a fat mini lmao 🤣 and I’m fairly certain I felt a kick. Past owner said she was bred on June 23 and was in with the stud for a month. So that would make her around 215 right?? Here are some photos of her: (also name ideas are welcome!!) 0527FD96-530B-4D18-BC3D-F6469A10452E.jpeg7B849D89-777D-40C7-BFFD-851B41C9B3C4.jpeg
It’s really hard to see, I know! She’s extremely in the pocket so it was hard to take photos haha. (So I’m the pocket that as soon as I came in the gate, she trotted right up to me!) and when I scratched her chest, she scratched me back lol never had a horse do that before 😂 and here’s the stud: 4C98A433-47F8-4EC1-9D43-5DE0A064246E.png

She's lovely :)

Regarding the photo angles , I always like the ones taken from down at her level standing behind her , say 5meters back. It gives a good indication of how the foal is riding. The other one , is the photo of the udder ( best taken from the same angle each time)

As she looses her winter coat , changes will become more visible to you. If you are planning on possibly breeding her again after this foal, keep a rough journal of her foaling pattern as often mares will follow this each pregnancy . Things like - Did she visibly show she was pregnant ? ( as most maiden mares can hide the foal up in the rib cage) did she bag up completely?Did she wax up? The other thing I would take note of is her behaviour. Some mares can turn into dragons as they get close to foaling.

Hope this helps :)

She's lovely :)

Regarding the photo angles , I always like the ones taken from down at her level standing behind her , say 5meters back. It gives a good indication of how the foal is riding. The other one , is the photo of the udder ( best taken from the same angle each time)

As she looses her winter coat , changes will become more visible to you. If you are planning on possibly breeding her again after this foal, keep a rough journal of her foaling pattern as often mares will follow this each pregnancy . Things like - Did she visibly show she was pregnant ? ( as most maiden mares can hide the foal up in the rib cage) did she bag up completely?Did she wax up? The other thing I would take note of is her behaviour. Some mares can turn into dragons as they get close to foaling.

Hope this helps :)
Thanks! She’ll be here in roughly 20 minutes but it’s kinda chilly so we’ll see what happens lol. I’m hoping to sort of keep an online journal here and also just for myself so I can see all the changes later, thanks for that idea too!!

Ryan makes a great suggestion! It definitely helps to know what’s normal for her. I use the google photos app to store mine in individual albums. That way they aren’t all on my phone (imagine if someone looked at the pictures on my phone 😬) and I can find all of them easily. Plus it allows you to add notes to each picture and time stamps them. You can even share links to individual albums for other people to be able to see.

Ryan makes a great suggestion! It definitely helps to know what’s normal for her. I use the google photos app to store mine in individual albums. That way they aren’t all on my phone (imagine if someone looked at the pictures on my phone 😬) and I can find all of them easily. Plus it allows you to add notes to each picture and time stamps them. You can even share links to individual albums for other people to be able to see.
Oh cool! Lol yeah lots of horse privates lmao 🤣 that’s hilarious. I’ll probably give that a go!

So here are some updated photos from today! 863BE8B4-069B-4471-925B-D102F52A3092.jpegB59597F9-5679-408B-934B-09B84C0EAD2D.jpeg
Wasn’t able to get an udder pic, well actually my camera probably won’t fit under her belly as my camera is too big, but I’ll see if I can get some from my phone tomorrow 😁

Good luck finding her udder under all that hair! LOL! I find using a hand mirror works really well for getting udder shots unless you want to get under her or take a bunch before one works well. Now you have the 'fun' of trying to feel movement and see any changes starting to happen. I'm hoping you feel some good solid kicks, you can't mistake it when you feel it.

Good luck finding her udder under all that hair! LOL! I find using a hand mirror works really well for getting udder shots unless you want to get under her or take a bunch before one works well. Now you have the 'fun' of trying to feel movement and see any changes starting to happen. I'm hoping you feel some good solid kicks, you can't mistake it when you feel it.
Okay so here’s the thing with feeling her that makes me believe she’s preggo even more. She DOES NOT like it when I put my hand on her belly for more than like 5 seconds, she looks around and tries to kick her belly. Could she be feeling the foal when she kicks as I take my hand off? Like could me putting my hand there activate some kicks from the foal, and then when she kicks I take my hand off as I don’t wanna get kicked, so then when I take my hand off that’s when she feels it? Does that make any sense at all? lol

Yeah you may have to wait for a while to get udder pics. I usually gets pics using selfie mode on my phone lol. The reaction to your feeling her belly likely does not mean a lot unfortunately. Some just don’t like their bellies being touched. In fact, most of mine hate it. It’s good to start her getting used to it though. Makes it much easier to check her when she starts getting closer.

Yeah you may have to wait for a while to get udder pics. I usually gets pics using selfie mode on my phone lol. The reaction to your feeling her belly likely does not mean a lot unfortunately. Some just don’t like their bellies being touched. In fact, most of mine hate it. It’s good to start her getting used to it though. Makes it much easier to check her when she starts getting closer.
I just tried to get udder pics and there’s so much hair, no way I can see anything lol. I’m 99% positive I felt a kick today, I tried to take a video but phone kept dying 😒🙄 so imma take my camera out there and see if that works better. But yeah like I felt her breathing and then there was something different, it wasn’t a fast kick but more moving slower towards the skin then back if that makes sense? When are you able to really starting feeling/seeing kicks? She’s on day 216 right now if that helps any 😊

I think you can normally start feeling kicks around 7 months, so that would be about now? What you felt could have been a foal, keep getting her used to you hugging her belly and touching her udder, you should start feeling more happening in there( I hope) and have a better chance of feeling any changes in her udder if there are any before she sheds out. Lets us know please!

I think you can normally start feeling kicks around 7 months, so that would be about now? What you felt could have been a foal, keep getting her used to you hugging her belly and touching her udder, you should start feeling more happening in there( I hope) and have a better chance of feeling any changes in her udder if there are any before she sheds out. Lets us know please!
I’ve started putting my hand under her belly for a certain amount of time (we’re up to 6 seconds without her trying to kick) and then I scratch her chest, which she absolutely loves and scratches me back lol 😂 hasn’t ever bitten or anything, just used her lips. Yeah she’s about 216 days which is around 7 months. So I’m expecting to feel more in the coming months as this is just barely 7 months along. I’m excited for this journey!!

Yes you are getting to the time when you can usually start feeling the foal. A way I have been able to feel foal movement is jog the mare for a few minutes. Usually wakes that baby up. Then I’ll put out a bit of feed to keep her still while I feel for movement. I think she’ll get more used to you feeling her belly (and messing with her udder) the more you do it. Also as she settles into her new home.

Yes you are getting to the time when you can usually start feeling the foal. A way I have been able to feel foal movement is jog the mare for a few minutes. Usually wakes that baby up. Then I’ll put out a bit of feed to keep her still while I feel for movement. I think she’ll get more used to you feeling her belly (and messing with her udder) the more you do it. Also as she settles into her new home.
Oh for a few minutes! I thought it was like for 10-30 seconds, oh okay yeah that makes sense! I’ll try that!

When she trys to get your hand away don't stop. You heed to be able to rub her anywhere any time. When you stop you just told her (Ok you win) Never never let a horse win. The more they win the harder they get to be handled when you need to. Just keep at it until she says to you (Ok you win) Talk to her all the time in a soft kind tone and keep rubbing.
It is good you keep checking her udder for the same reason as the above. Don't expect an udder change until closer to her due date. I have had mares that the udder didn't change until a day before. Three years a go I had one that didn't have milk until the vet gave her a shot. If by chance you would need to milk by hand a day or so you will not want to have a fight to milk her. Rub and touch her everywhere. It was exciting and my wife and I for our first foal.

When she trys to get your hand away don't stop. You heed to be able to rub her anywhere any time. When you stop you just told her (Ok you win) Never never let a horse win. The more they win the harder they get to be handled when you need to. Just keep at it until she says to you (Ok you win) Talk to her all the time in a soft kind tone and keep rubbing.
It is good you keep checking her udder for the same reason as the above. Don't expect an udder change until closer to her due date. I have had mares that the udder didn't change until a day before. Three years a go I had one that didn't have milk until the vet gave her a shot. If by chance you would need to milk by hand a day or so you will not want to have a fight to milk her. Rub and touch her everywhere. It was exciting and my wife and I for our first foal.
But the problem is that she’s kicking at her belly and I don’t want her to kick my hand. So I think building up to longer periods of time will help her become more comfortable with me touching her everywhere.

Latest posts

Back