mare that is very laid back.....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deanna

Reaction score
when it comes to disciplining her foal she will not, he is so agressive towards all the other horses but for the most part he has been left with his mom and an older mare but I am concerned as to his behavior, I brough an older filly up to clip her and she was tied in the isle of the barn and I walked off to get the "supplies" and I look over and he is biting her in the face and rearing up on her....this is not the first time he has done this to a horse tied. When he gets mad at his mom he will back up to her pin his ears and kick at her she just stands there he will try breed her bite her rear up on her and she does nothing but I worry if he will think this is normal behavior in the pasture.... I today put some younger and older horses in the pasture wiht him so hopefully he will see that it is not ok to treat the other horses as he does his mother. Is she just too laid back of a mom, is she tired of being a mom? She does care about him when someone new (horse) comes in the pasture she will holler for him to find him so it is not lack of concern.....maybe I should put him on jenny jones for deliquent horses and they will send him to foal boot camp
laugh.gif

One of my colts was acting like that. He was picking fights with the stallions at 2 months. We gelded him
smile.gif
He's calmed down a lot. He is turned out with other mares and foals and was always a little aggresive. He didn't spend much time with his dam and followed another mare like she was his mom. She would discipline some but she never got too mean. He is slowly learning how to behave.

I have one of these boys. Casey is a devil. Just plain a pest. Bites and kicks and mounts and NO ONE in the herd including his mom, who is 17 this year and this is only her 2nd colt, does anything to reprimand him. I was fixing a bit of fence and didn't he come right up and bite me! He's looking at a VERY young gelding I think.

I bought a mare like that this year, who had an obnoxious colt at her side. He went back to the seller at weaning, though. The mare just let him do WHATEVER he wanted, and did absolutely nothing to punish him. So of course, he thought he could do that to everyone. After we weaned the colt, we put a normally very docile gelding in with him, and what a shock for that colt--my gelding put him in his place, LOL!

I had a colt got through this- he really was a pain in the neck!! Very, very colty. I haltered him and tied him up at feed time- he'd settled right down. Still plan on gelding him as soon as it gets cooler, though.

I would geld him, if you dont its only going to get worse!

-Gage-

Wowie! He should come visit.

I got a 29 incher that would clean his clock in a hurry. He doesn't know what BAD is until he has felt the wrath of my Baby Chrissy! I don't call her my "kicky baby" for nothing! Heck, she'd stomp Sonny if given the chance!

I have a colt that is 3 months old and likes to jump up on the mom and imitate the breeding pose. She neverminds that and doesent bother with him then, but she does know how to swing her hip towards him if something else bothers her, and he does get the point. To some degree, this sounds like a bit of pent up horse play, and he needs another baby to play and run with, possibly a little older, or bigger, so he would realize he is not the beginning and the end of that.. It sounds like he just has too much energy in his hooves, and no-one to spend it on his own size, and energy level..

Well, Casey has Missy who is one week older and she is the only one who'll clean his lil clock.

I would deff. get him gelded in the future unless you want him for breeding. Coco wasnt really ever 'bad' ...he just had osme bad habits i guess. After we Gelded him though he was just fine. Still has his times where you would think he was PMS'ing ..but he is young. I guess just give it time and work with him a little. If the mare wont disipline maybe try to do it yourself and see if that helps. Im not sure but it might. lol thats really what i would do though, get him gelded. Only reason we gelded coco was bc i didnt like the idea of having a stallion bc im a girl and my dad always told me you cant trust a stallion unless you raised him from birth. lol i guess it got to my head.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back