mare that constantly cycles

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vickie gee

Reaction score
A couple of months ago I had a stallion gelded. Last month I turned him out with a couple of mares. He still exhibits stallion behavior unfortunately and one particular mare cycles constantly. Her hind legs are so nasty right now from all this behavior. Whenever I turn out another gelding and a couple of other mares that are normally kept in dry lot for a bit of exercise the gelding that still behaves stallion like will not let the other gelding come near. I am tired of the bullying and hanky panky. I don't have acreage to do much of anything else in the way of who stays where. Is there anything that can be done about a mare that "stays in".

Unfortunately it can take a little longer for some to "loose " the stallion qualities and traits.

How long has your mare been constantly cycling for ? If she has been cycling for quite some time then I think its time to give your vet a call. A couple of things spring to mind here , she could be suffering from a uterine infection which can cause erratic and strange cycles but the other possible reason could be that she has a cystic ovary

Ryan

My filly did that and she was cystic. A big dose of gnrh IV and a month or regumate and all is well.

Her main symptom was that she was in a disgusting heat all the time. She was also freaking stupid. Ignored the stud on one side of the fence, would bust down the other side to get to the draft GELDING that was in no way playing along and wanted nothing to do with her. She'd back up into his chest and pee on him. And he'd bite her in the middle of the back and try to run from her.

She also HATED her belly and sides touched. Under saddle she'd pin her ears; turn and Look at me if I used my leg even a little. From the time she was a yearling she hated her belly or hind end touched.

All of her crap ceased within a week of the gnrh. Was well worth the vet call.

Agree with above......You need a vet (who knows what they're doing) examine her.......Expect blood work and possibly an ultra-sound.

She either has hormonal problems (blood work), or a cyst in her uterus or on her ovaries.......Suggest having the blood test done first.
default_smile.png

Poor girl......It CANNOT be fun being in heat 24/7!

Honestly when my filly had her issue we didn't even examine her. She just got the big dose of gnrh because I was not going to let her keep crap up any longer and wait for a test or something. It doesn't hurt them if they aren't cystic so why not? The symptoms were spot on, why beat a dead horse? It was a cheap easy vet call.

Thanks you all. I have been busy with life for a few days (grandson in state ball tourney, aunt broke her hip) and have not been back on forum till now. What the mare seems to do is stop cycling for a week and then back on for 2-3 weeks. This evening when I got back home, she was not teasing and dripping. I hope to get her cleaned up this week and call the vet.

Latest posts

Back