Mare stallion Gelding

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you prefer mares,stallions,or geldings?

• mare

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • stallion

• gelding

• Total voters
Well....I just love geldings....because they're geldings! No hormones or anything...and I've never had the 'drop-off' of energy that some people say geldings have. Nearly all the geldings I've worked with have given me their all. Elvis, for instance(not mine, but I drove him at Mighty Minis CDE), will work and work and work and still be willing and attentive and sharp.

That said, my best competition horse is a mare...and she gives it 200% ALL THE TIME. Back off? nope. Drop dead before admitting defeat? yep. You could, literally, push her to the ends of her reserves and she would still try for you(and, as she is so willing, I would never ask her to do that much).

And, really, she is never moody or mareish....she knows her job and she loves to do it.

Stallions also have that go to the end of the world push...but it is harder to focus it in the right direction(ie: NOT at mares when in harness!).

I have driven 'lazy' horses from all three categories.
smile.gif

Back