Mare shuts down at shows

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunny Delight

Reaction score
Hi ll,

I have a problem I am really hoping someone can help me with!

I have a mare who is normally super active, great movement, excited to work etc at home but when I get her to a show she shuts down and pretty much go sleep for the day? During classes I cannot her to wake up, look alive and move out well in the ring...its like she shuts down as soon as we get to a show and that's the end of it. No excitement or energy...its driving me batty. She was shown a fair bit as a youngster and now I have her has a 4yo she is only just being shown again. How do I get her to wake up and take notice? My others all love the ring and put their heart and soul into showing themselves off. But with her its different...I have to drag her rather then her actively walk with me. At home its a different story! Very active and easy to work with! If I didn't know any better I would say she had been doped! Help please!
She is by far the nicest in my herd but I can't help but think her attitude is affecting her placings at shows. She has such great potential and I need to get this sorted out before the new season starts. Any ideas would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm wondering if you are hauling her so far she is tired from the ride

and also I would treat her for ulcers and see if there is a difference

Hi Marty,

We don't do long trips here. The longest trip we have ever made is 3 hours. But that doesn't happen often at all.

Normally our shows are fairly local and the furthest we have to travel is at max an hour away.

I had never thought of ulcers, but would think that this would effect her at home not just at shows?

Ulcers are typically brought on my stress, home isn't stressful, so doesn't bother her; Shows maybe be a bit stressful for her so bring on ulcers. Try some ulcer meds, even just OTC ones like U-Gard (pellets or powder, which ever is easier to get her to eat); won't hurt to try it, but put her on it several days before a show, even longer if you can, and leave her on them during show season (if they help her, but you'll have to give it time to see if it works).

She might just be out of her comfort zone. Most facilities have stalls where the horses cannot see into other stalls, etc. and they fret about being cooped up. You could try bringing some type of gate where the stall door is kept open and she can see out?? Or it could be she simply hates the shows, the hoopla, the fussing, strange people, etc.

You may just have to face the fact that she simply doesn't like showing. We have a mare like that - shown as a yearling at a couple of local shows. At the first she arrived all keen and interested but after a couple of classes she had lost her interest and her sparkle. We didn't push it as she was young and we thought she was maybe tired. Tried another show about a month later and she loaded on to our lorry with her typical "ooo great, are we going somewhere?" but unloaded the other end at the show, looked around, said "oh it's another of those show places" and just fell asleep. Yes she behaved beautifully, walking, trotting, standing quietly, but with her head low and her ears relaxed at halfmast, not even a glimpse of a sparkle! She simply has no interest in being at a show and we didn't ask her to try again. Some horses are just made that way I'm afraid, but I hope you have better success with your mare.

I would check for ulcers. The other thing I would do is give her red cell before and during the show. But like was said above she may not cut it as a show horse.

Perhaps it is "stage fright". Like some people who are a blast on home turf, put them with strangers and they become wall flowers.

Just like people, horses have likes and dislikes too, some horses just do not like to leave home or show....I just brought one home from the trainer that just does not want to be a show horse. On the other hand my gelding loves to be in the ring showing off.....

I have an opposite here.
No interest here and soon as I get to shows she acts like a fool. Judges see her outside the ring and you can read their face like a book... Oh great another stupid horse that don't have any manners.
But soon as she steps into the ring, the light switch is flipped and she totally shows her heart out and has always placed very well.

IMO there are animals that just DO NOT LIKE the show ring.I've seen it lots in dogs and horses.Attitude goes a long way in becoming a winner.People are the same way.I hate being in the ring, but am quite content being the person behind the show.

That was my first thought....that she just doesn't like to show. Her behavior could be a reaction to the stress because of that.

I had a mare that showed like a champ until the 1994 AMHA Nationals in the middle of the senior mare class and she shut down. Sucked in her neck, flopped her ears sideways and quit. I felt sick watching judges cross off her number. That was the end of her show career, and she was a very nice mare. Just decided she hated showing.

I have a Pembroke Corgi sired by one of the top sires in the breed and co-owned with his owner. She HATED to show. Her last show, she was at the end of the lead, ears flopping, sour expression. I contacted the co-owner and explained the situation and she graciously agreed that spaying and life as a pet was the best for her. What a relief as the agreement was to finish her championship, breed to the stud of the breeder's choice and the breeder would get pick puppy. Glad she was so easy to work with, but I was just sick that it didn't work out.

I am more philosophical about these situations now, you just have to accept that it is what it is.

I have an opposite here.

No interest here and soon as I get to shows she acts like a fool. Judges see her outside the ring and you can read their face like a book... Oh great another stupid horse that don't have any manners.

But soon as she steps into the ring, the light switch is flipped and she totally shows her heart out and has always placed very well.
Mine is sort of the same way, screaming from the time he unloads off the trailer just talking to anything that walks by but as soon as he hits the ring he is all business. I think he just wants everyone to know he is there lol runs in the family.

Now my eventer HATED dressage it was a fight through the whole entire test and no matter what training we did he would just be horrible; now get him out on cross country or stadium he would just shine because he absolutely loved to jump.

I would advise you to do other things with this mare. Her heart isn't in it. She reminds me of me. I grew up into the dog showing world, and as long as I've had horses I haven't had the desire to show. I know conformation, movement, and I understand that showing is an excellent way of campaigning what you have, but I really think it's impractical. Maybe your mare just isn't into it.

Latest posts

Back