mare rejecting 2 month old foal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MindyLee

Reaction score
I body clipped my 2 month old colt today. Soon as I put him back to the pasture with his momma, she started rejecting him. She chases him, bites and kicks at him. Now the poor lil guy has a open wound on his side and very confussed about y his momma hates him.

When I went to clip him, I took momma with us and she was right there the whole time. She even lead back to the pasture with him on her side. So its not like she was away from him.

However, he was a bright red sorrel and now washed out and light sorrel roan under his fuzz. Could it be that because he's different lookin and thats y she dont think he is hers? I figured sound/calls/smell would keep them togather.

If she dose 100% reject and I see no hope over the next 24-48 hrs, should and could I wean him at 2 months old? For his safty...

I do have them in their own pasture away from the rest of the herd to see if she reconects with him... I will be checking on him all night to make sure he is ok.

Thanks!

I hope his momma soon figures out it is her baby.If not and you have to wean him he should be ok.Had to wean a 2 month old many years ago when her mom was kicked and had to go to U of PA vet hospital and be on ivs etc.baby did just fine.She had been eating her own grain since about 2 weeks old so I just stepped up amounts.

I have had good success weaning 30 day foals. So I would be quite confident at 2 months.

Dr Taylor

Did you bathe him before you clipped him? If so the baby will smell differently. If you have a blanket or something that the foal has used may bring back the old smell and remind her its him.

You could try separating but in an adjoining pen. That would allow them to get a little separation anxiety, and yet pay attention through the fence to each other, and when her bag is needing emptied, she will likely welcome him back to drain it. It's worth a shot anyway. Good luck! I have also once had a mare reject her own foal after I clipped him, and since then, have always hd her in the same small stall while I clip the foal.

Thanks everyone! I freaked out cause shes not a bright mare to begin with and it took her a lil while to realize she had just given birth to him as she wasnt sure about him when born. Shes 8 yrs old and semi maidan (lost 1st foal at birth) and ever since I owned (2008) shes a lil off in the head. Beauty sometimes has lack of brains! LOL! But I just was very worried cause she produced the best foal ever here and as a prod momma myself, I would hate for anything to happen to him.

I dont have a blanky with his sent except from birth, so I will grab it and rub it all over him to see if it helps some.

As for her milk bag... she never really had one, so not sure if that will help. I did try seperating them and he called and she ignored all his calls.

I hope all goes well... As of just now on a check, they where about 20ft apart standing there...

fingers crossed!!!

Something popped into my head. Can you maybe rub a little of HER poop on him to give him her smell and cover up any shampoo smell? Just an idea.

Robin great idea, I too suggest you rub him all over with mum's poop. Good luck

Not good! She hates him!

I started thinking, I really never saw them near each other all day yeasterday too. Only when I took both of them to the house so he could get bathed/clipped. He lead beside her but seamed scared then. I did'nt think much of it cause he was on a lead and still learning to lead. But now I wonder, was she weaning him off her already. I checked her bag last night which she never has had one and it was huge and full and like it has not been sucked off lately.

I tied her to the gate this morning and he ran to get a drink. She freaked and tried to rear and bit at him. I kept her still while he wolfed some milk down but then she got out of hand, so I let her go. I tried the poop, the blanket rubs, forced her to stand and nothing works. He calls her and she just looks at him then ignores him. I know she knows he is hers but I think shes done being a momma. I put them back with the herd cause at least she dont try and run him in the ground with them. It looks like he will be weaned at just shy of 2 months old.

I will still continue to tie her to the gate to let him drink some but it wont be much as shes a powerful headstrong mare.

This sucks! Poor lil guy!

I am so sorry you are having to go through this, I bet it must be upsetting. Could you try sedating her? I know it isn't a long term solution but you could perhaps try. Do you have any other mares milking that might take him?

Good luck

I am so sorry you are having to go through this, I bet it must be upsetting. Could you try sedating her? I know it isn't a long term solution but you could perhaps try. Do you have any other mares milking that might take him?

Good luck
Yes I do and was going to see if she will accept him. Shes a good mare and a easy keeper so I think she will be able to keep the weight on if 2 are sucking from her.

Have you tried using a twitch so she will stand quietly while he nurses? You might have to do this several times a day until she gets used to him again- hopefully it wont take long. He was obviously nursing before the clipping or her bag would not be so full. If he doesnt nurse she is going to dry up. I really would not want to wean one so young without exhausting all options

I had a mare once that when she was in heat, refused to let the foal nurse! She wasn't hateful to the foal though.

You're doing everything you can! (and a good job of it)

Feed him separately all you can. (feed)

I haven't read all the previous posts, just the early ones..... My heart goes out to you about this.

Are you feeding your baby milk replacer? At 2 months he should be fine taking it in pellet form mixed with grain. I'd also try allowing him to nurse from her two or three times a day for as long as you can. I know that's not easy.

Well tonight I hog tied that mare with her head tight to the gate as I could get it and stood there supervising over her while Duke suckled off her till he was full. She freaked but had no choice as I was right there and snapped at her everytime she started acting up. Duke on the other hand was delighted to get his milk and drank his lil heart out till her bag was empty. He's caught on when I grab his momma and call his name, he knows its milk time and I will protect him while he nurses. He got to drink 3 times today and I will try at least that many if not more while home. Now the problem is that momma has caught on that Im after her everytime I enter the pasture!

Have to coach her with a lil grain before long to trick her!

Well, if she knows she's getting grain for the process, maybe she won't be hard to catch? Hopefully. :eek:)

Latest posts

Back