Mare question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonny

past member - Someone just shoot me!
Reaction score
I have read before that a horse can be lacking in minerals and that lack of salt will make a horse lick dirt.

Well a few days ago Bonny was licking the dirt - enough so she had a wet spot and was able to get quite a bit with each lick.

I am thinking I should run some sand clear through her. Also she has a salt and a mineral block she licks on quite a bit. She is also drinking a lot, but I would think the salt has something to do with that.

Maybe she is lacking something from being in foal? I had Hubby stop on the way home to pick up a vitamin, mineral supplement. She was on Wendlands 'one and only' because the vet said she didnt need grain( remember this was before he thought she was preg) and she used the block a lot. Now I have her on Evans 12%, seems to have good stuff in it. She isnt using the block as much but today when I let her out she ran to a tree, pawed the ground at the base and took a huge bite of dirt. Then she followed ShyAnne my Paint mare around, waiting for her to poop. When she did, she pawed it and ate poop! Any suggestions?
default_unsure.png

Not saying that this will be the "cure all" but if you can pick up a loose mineral mix and give it to her free choice, it might help.

Jodi

Bonnie,

I really don't know either - my first thought was a mineral/salt block - but, you said she already had that.

I always keep some powered Electrolytes (sp) on hand. Then if I think they are lacking something I will give it to the horse for a few days. It seems in my case anyway, when the heat is at it's worse or winter is when they need it the most.

For some odd reasons, my horses like the Cherry Flavor better than the Apple. Don't ask me why...lol.

Last edited:
I would say she is definately lacking something. I add Grostrong Loose Minerals daily to all my horses grain. Plus they have a T/M Block to lick on if they choose. I dont know if that will help but it is worth a try. Good luck!

Thanks y'all. I have added farnams vit and min supplement . Hope that helps. Poor Bonny.

default_smile.png

Is she getting enough protein? I hear this is usually a mineral imbalance though... we keep plain salt and mineral salt out... Is she getting enough fiber? Does she have pasture or hay? I too would run some psyllium through too- that would make me nervous!

Well she is getting a 12% pelleted feed right now, just started adding a 14%. I also have 24/7 hay and 1 &1/2 acre pasture although its not the greatest. She does have a mineral salt block.

The eating of your other horses manure suggests a need for gut flora to me. It wouldn't hurt to give her some probios or yogurt with live bacteria and see if that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ask your local feedstore if there is a specific mineral that your area is missing. Every mineral supplement has different things in them and the ones you give might not be supplementing the mineral she is missing. Your local vet should know also. We feed an area specific mineral - we always feed free choice and feed loose minerals. We have lots of rock and lack several types of minerals.

Most areas have had studies done by the local agriculture department to tell you what to supplement your horses for. Our local 4H has all of the info for our area.

Ann

Mineral blocks are almost all salt. I feel its imprtant to provide free choice minerals and free choice salt seperately - we used small dishes that attach to the inside wall of the stalls. Sometimes they lack the minerals but not salt. From what you describe I wouldn't be surprised if she licked the free choice minerals quite a bit when you first introduce them, she will then slow down eating them (we used the Buckeye products)

Edited to add our minerals and salt had selenium added to it since we lack selenium in our area

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks I will surely look into a free choice mineral.I didnt realize the mineral block were mostly salt. That explains her drinking so much and why the need for minerals is still there.

Latest posts

Back