Mare Question!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think Mindy said her mares were going longer this year. I had one mare who used to go a full year -- 365 days from her breeding date -- like clockwork. When I sold her in foal, I gave the new owner the day to stay in the barn with her. Instead, I got a phone call saying she was very worried, as the mare hadn't foaled yet -- she was at 330 days. I just laughed, and said to just wait 35 days more, and she would have a precious little one.

She didn't believe me, called the vet, who said all was well, and she would foal when she felt like it.

You got it! She foaled right on day 365 -- like clockwork!

I think they just enjoy making us a bit crazy!! Hang in there! We know they will foal eventually!!

I took these pictures today (vulva picture is the best I could get as she's not a fan and tightens it on me!). I didn't take profile or behind pictures, but I can get those tomorrow!

20160417_193421_resized.jpg

20160415_231619_resized.jpg

All sounds good. Don't be anxious, all sounds just fine and looks fine, too!!

Last edited:
Well, still no baby. She still has the cow patties, soft butt muscles and darker colour inside her vulva. She's walking around with her tail lifted and sometimes to the side. Her bag is still very hard and nipples pointing straight down. She was acting so strange last night that we were sure she was in stage one of labour, but then she settled down around 2 am and nothing! Here are a couple new pictures of her udder. I will try to get some side and behind shots of her to show her belly later today.

20160420_221204_resized.jpg

20160420_221132_resized.jpg

Hang in there. I couldn't sleep from 3 am to 5 am. Sat staring at our mare. Nothing! Finally fell asleep a little after 5 am. About 6:30 am I was woke up by our other mare dragging a black tub around (got rope around neck). When I looked over at Design, to see a little face with blue eyes peeking out from under moms neck. Slept through the whole thing. Was very lucky because placenta was attached to sac. Thankfully colt was able to break through sac.

She is looking beautiful, and I wouldn't take my eyes off her!

Praying for a safe and uneventful delivery of a healthy little one!
default_pray.gif
:pray
default_pray.gif

Here are the other pictures of her today. (She wanted to be extra cute, so the last one is just Smudge saying "Hi!"
default_smile.png
)

20160421_163551_resized.jpg

20160421_163716_resized.jpg

20160421_163825_resized.jpg

She's looking nicely slab-sided, and it's hard to tell the way she's standing, but it looks like baby is moving forward-of-center, so lining up nicely.

She needs close watching now for sure, because a few good rolls, and she could go! Very excited for you....and us! Praying for a safe and uneventful delivery of a beautiful new little one!
default_pray.gif
:pray
default_pray.gif

Another Smudge update...still no baby. She still has the cow patties and has been acting so strange at night. Her attitude has also changed, she's not as friendly anymore and has gotten quite sassy! I've attached some pictures of how she's looking. It's getting very difficult to get any udder or vulva pictures now because she's very unhappy with us...I will try to get some tonight (since my ones from earlier didn't come out; they were all blurry).

20160424_123951.jpg

20160424_124046.jpg

20160424_124057.jpg

She is looking pretty slab-sided, so keep a tight eye on her. Although it doesn't look like baby has dropped, with her being a maiden, that's not totally surprising. Remember Chanda's mare that didn't look at all pregnant, and then foaled a little beauty that afternoon.

Since her personality has been changing, and she's looking slab-sided, I'd be watching her closely!!

Okay, this mare is officially driving us crazy!! Still no baby...last night when I woke up for my check at 4:30 she was laying flat out and her back leg was up and kept moving (looking like she was pushing) watched her for an hour but she wasn't in labor at all and then she got up and went back to her usual routine and is totally normal today! How much longer can she go on like this?! We've had cow patties now for over a week! Mom and I leave for vacation on Wednesday (it's been booked since January) and we thought for sure she would have had this baby by now since we're going on 10 weeks of being bagged up...but now we're not even sure if we'll have it before we leave. Dad is freaking out about having to deliver a baby without us! We're about ready to just induce her! lol (totally kidding about that!)

Are you 100% certain that she is in foal, and not just having a false pregnancy...that bag definitely looks real, but man, I can;t believe she still hasn`t popped, and her belly does not look extremely large. I am not sure how false pregnancies present, but it might be worth having her checked, unless of course, you have felt lots of foal movement in there.

If you're concerned about leaving, perhaps if you have a vet nearby, they could check on her tomorrow or Friday during the day and let you know what they think. Never hurts to have a professional opinion!!

Latest posts

Back