Mare Over-grooming baby???? raw tush

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carolyn R

Reaction score
Okay, had a new foal born last night. The mare is a maiden, good mom, but she is over grooming the baby. She was actually tugging off the front slippers when the baby was sleeping, and she has been licking her tush so much she actually has a small raw spot on the edge of her vulva.

I know it is only a matter of 2 or 3 days until the baby gets so fed up that she will position herself differently while nursing to prevent it from occurring. In the meantime,anyone ever deal with this ordo you have any pointers on how to keep the mare from doing this?

The foal has plenty of room to escape mom, they are in an inside 12x35" area, so that is not an issue. I have steroid ointment from the vet to provide quick healing.

Carolyn

Last edited by a moderator:
I really think that Momma is just so excited about her new little one she just wants to love on her all the time.Nothing much you can do if you dont wanna make her stop taking care of her.Maybe when the newness wears off.. If nothing else ask the vet what he suggests.
default_biggrin.png

Already had the vet out for the foal check. Besides the steroid ointment, she told me to have a long talk with my mare and explain that horses are not suppose to groom their babies like kittens, LOL

Carolyn

Carolyn,

I'm trying to think of what you can put on the raw area that would taste bad to the mom to make her stop. It would have to be safe to eat though & not interfer with the ointment - a thick layer of vaseline??? Congratulations on the filly.
default_wink.png
default_yes.gif

Thanks Cathy, It seems like mom has backed off a bit today. I have made a trickle feeder from some pvc and and some screw on caps, and drilled a hole in it. Summer is a real food hog and it seems to be taking her mind off of obsessing over Dream.I am just getting to post the pics now. She is ALL LEGS.

I know I have said it so many times, but we love Omega so much, he is a genuine pleasure to have. He is one in a million, I can never thank you enough for entrusting him to us.

Carolyn

Back