Mare One is IN

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katiean

Reaction score
I went out and fed this morning and our mare that never looks Pregnant dropped. When I saw her I thought OMG! I have to get her in. So, we got the gate put on the foaling stall and tomorrow I am going to pick up my camera. I checked her bag and she does not have a full bag and the liquid is clear. She is very squishy around her tail. She didn't like being taken away from the other horses.

I'll be praying for a healthy foal and a safe delivery!
default_wink.png

I worry with Princess because her last foal had a short cord. It was not even long enough for the foal to get all the way out. I had to pivot him around to get him out. When the cord broke I had to clamp off the foals tummy and the cord that was still attached to mommy. Then she retained her placenta. I now know how to handle the whole thing as we could not get a vet to come out and take care of her. I called every one in the book and one vet told me how to take care of it myself. I don't want a repeat of that. I can't wait to get the camera up. I won't have to go out every hour or so. I also just have to listen for banging. She likes to lay down too close to the wall.

Well, I'm going to wish you a much less stressfull foaling this time! Would you please describe how you handled last year's problems? If you posted last year I didn't see it and I would sure would like to know how you took care of that one.

Thank you

Charlotte

As she was foaling after the foal was at his hips (they were beginning to show) he quit progressing. I have seen a foal kick a mare so bad at foaling that her uterus tore and she bled to death. So, with each contraction I turned him and pulled each leg out bending his legs so they could clear the birth canal. When the the cord snapped because of the pressure on it I pinched his naval closed and pinched off the cord to the mare and sent someone running for blood stop (as if that was going to help the mare). I had mare in one hand and baby in the other and once I got baby to stop bleeding I tied the cord in a tight knot. As for the placenta, (I would not try this unless you are experienced. you can kill your mare) I was told to put pressure on the placenta (not too much as you can tare the uterus) at a 45 degree angle (don't pull out and don't pull down) This was enough to start the contractions again. Keep the pressure until the placenta totally released and drops out. You can then inspect the placenta to make sure it is complete. One thing I did think about is, when we got her she was being fed grass hay. The woman we got her from even gave us a couple of bales of the grass hay she was eating to make sure she still got "what she was use to eating). I wonder if the grass hay had anything to do with the problems we encountered.

Latest posts

Back