Mare mounting other mare in heat?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wc minis

Reaction score
I have a 5 year old mare that is not a maiden. She was in heat last week and we have been hand breeding her every other day. Than I have another mare that came in heat and she is also being bred every other day to the same stallion. The 5 year old mare did NOT like this stallion and it was really difficult to hand breed her. She was last hand bred on this past Tuesday, so she will be checked today to see if she is still in. But in the mean time, she was getting real angy with the other mare after we bred the other mare to the stallion. Anyway, this morning, the 5 year old mare was mounting the other mare and she had the movement to go with it. She did this 2 times before I left for work. She should be out of her heat cycle, but I will check her this evening. Is this a dominance thing or could there be something else going on?
default_smile.png

My mare, Hope, did this last year. We'd put a mare we'd just handbred back into her paddock, and she's play stallion. She was newly pregnant at the time.

We had one mare that would do this too.

Thanks!! Geese, I had to take a double look when I first seen her doing that. The mare mounting is 35" to my little 30" mare. I was like EEEEEK!!
default_wacko.png

My Mentor called these mares "Stallion Mares".

They know when a mare is in heat. We have a couple here as well.

VERY useful if you have mares that have "silent heats".

I have a couple mares that do this some times, I'm not worried about it, they have been doing it for a couple years.

Back