Mare kicks

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Performancemini

Reaction score
We bought a driving mare that drives single and clear up to 8-horse hitch and tandem. She comes to you, nickers and stalls well. But she is horrible when in heat. Squats, squirts, messy down the back legs and kicks- horses and people. She is not trustworthy when out of heat either. Still might kick or threatens to. She was purchased as a weanling by a person who basically had her as a pasture pet for six years. Then bought by our acquaintances who owned her for three years and put some manners into her and all the driving training. They said she could be touchy in the back area, but we didn't think it was going to be this much. Never had a mare like this before. She drives like we wanted, but not sure we want to deal with her "lack of manners". What to do with a kicker?

Last edited by a moderator:
Call your vet. Sounds like a text book case of cystic ovaries. 1 $40 shot and maybe some regumate, and within 48 hours you'll be done with it all.

My filly has had 2 flare ups. She's downright stupid, kicks, then gets both miserable too and 'promiscuous' with other horses. She'll about demand to be mounted then turn and attack. However her first sign is that she's touchy as she can be with her hind end.

I think ovaries too. I had a POA that would colic when coming in to season and just be generally uncomfortable and miserable. We almost lost her to colic, and at the clinic as they were trying to diagnose her, an ultrasound was performed and what was found was her ovary had bled into itself and was twice the size it should have been. I believe it was a retained follicle, but I'm not positive on that. She was put on regumate and that straightened her out.

She was also tense and touchy over her back area unrelated to her cycles so in addition to the regumate I started her on Magnesium supplements and that did seem to relax her over her topline.

Latest posts

Back