mare in heat?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HorseyGurl22

Reaction score
This may sound like a dumb question, but, how can you tell when a mare is in heat? My mare has some discharge coming from her. How long do they normally stay in heat?

bumping this up for you!

Mine usually "pee" all over their back legs and look messy. Also, they will wink more than just after peeing.

Some mares are hard to tell with.

My Molly turns into a ho ho ho and every gelding in the pasture becomes so much cuter then the day before and she lets them in the barn rather then kick them out!

She also pees double time or if one of the geldings poke her she will pee (which they seem to take turns pokeing her with there noses thinking its funny)

They go in heat 17 to 20 days and are in heat for 5 to 7 days.

Last edited:
Do you have a stallion either on your property or near by? If so, your mare will show you when she's in heat. As posted above, she will squat, pee, "wink", and flag her tail (and sometimes squeel). Her pee will have a different odor too. If the stallion is at all close, she will present herself to him in some fashion as well......there will be NO question what she wants!
rolleyes.gif

If you do NOT have a stallion close by, then you may not notice her heat cycles very easily.

For folks who want to send their mare out to be bred and don't have a stallion, this often means leaving the mare with the stallion a little longer until she comes into heat.

MA

Nope, no stallions around for me to find out. Just her gelded son. I guess she'll just keep me in the dark about it for now.

Miniv said:
Do you have a stallion either on your property or near by?  If so, your mare will show you when she's in heat.  As posted above, she will squat, pee, "wink",  and flag her tail (and sometimes squeel).  Her pee will have a different odor too.  If the stallion is at all close, she will present herself to him in some fashion as well......there will be NO question what she wants! 
rolleyes.gif

If you do NOT have a stallion close by, then you may not notice her heat cycles very easily. 

For folks who want to send their mare out to be bred and don't have a stallion, this often means leaving the mare with the stallion a little longer until she comes into heat.

MA

469309[/snapback]

Latest posts

Back