Mare in foal - UPDATE 06/26

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am so sorry for your loss and my condolences to you and the Dam. You did the right thing in putting the baby down being so severely afflicted. It is one of the aspects of breeding our miniatures. A dwarf can happen.

Joyce L

We are so very sorry for you and your mares loss. She was a beautiful baby...

I am so very, very sorry! I'm sending you a lot of hugs, but you'll have to send some right back to me, as I have tears streaming down my face. What a beautiful little thing she might have been, but even in her deformity I see only beauty anyway.

Please don't give up on your mare yet! Do people who have a Downs child always have a second one in a row? No!

We have close friends with twin sons, and ONE of the twins is Downs, and the other was valedictorian of his senior class and in college right now. genetics are genetics, whether equine or human, and although I know how extremely difficult this must be for you after all the months of waiting and waiting, and seeing your mare so sad, I think I would try it again, but with another stallion.

I am so sorry for what you have been through.

I completely understand how you feel and you must be at peace with your decision as it was the best thing. Quite often there are things wrong internally with dwarfs that can't even be seen and aren't apparent unless a necropsy were done.

I truly believe I would make the same decision you have about the mare and her breeding status. I would not discount the stallion, either, though, as the source of the dwarfism, but I can't say since I know neither one.

Liz M.

I am so sorry for your loss. There just are no words to describe how we feel when we lose one of our babies. Breeding miniature horses is definitely not for the weak of heart. (((hugs))) to you. You did the right thing, she is now enjoying her life just above us, running with all the angel foals. I wold have made the same decision to not breed her anymore, but remember it takes 2 to produce a dwarf. It would be so wonderful if we had a "dwarf gene test" . Corinne

I'm not sure what to do with the stallion as of now.

He has never thrown a dwarf before. Of course now I know he carries the gene as well. Wish we were further with genetics to be able to detect this earlier. Maybe some day we will be able to test for Dwarfism in uetero just as they do for downs in humans.

Thank you all again!! {{{HUGS}}}

so sorry for your loss :no:

its so hard to lose a foal

prayers to you and your mare

it leaves you in a haze for a long time

but I know you know you made the right

decision

(((HUGS))))

Lori

Oh my dear I'm SO very sorry for your and the mres loss. What a sweet baby and what coloring too.

I agree with the descision to not breed again, and find her a pet home..good luck on whatever other direction you persue.

Maxine

I am so sorry- she was VERY cute. My first couple of years of breeding Minis didnt go that well either and about the time I was ready to just say forget it, I was blessed with a wonderful baby and it went from there.

Any Mini, whether a National champion or a beloved backyard pet, can produce a dwarf. You just dont want to do that cross again. Just remember, a good portion of the foals are fine.

I would breed her to another stallion instead and try again, but that is just me. It is always heartbreaking to lose one, no matter what the cause. Hugs to you and the little mama.

I, too, am sorry for your loss. She was such a pretty thing. I know very well how hard your decision was, but also know that it was best. I have developed a philosophy or a general rule, that if we have a dwarf, if it can stand an nurse unassisted, I let it live, because I have seen several go on to lead good lives as pets, or even theraphy animals. If it can't stand and nurse on its own, I put it down. Hard? Yes, everytime, but necessary for the well-being of both mare and foal.

I'm so sorry for your loss...It's so heart breaking I know so well I lost one this past Sunday..I still want to cry...{{{HUGS}}}}to you

I am so sorry :no: That baby was gorgeous. I would have loved to see pics of her growing up.

As I sit here and read this my heart crys for you- I'm sorry for your loss- we also lost a baby this year- not a good year for babies this year...........

I am so sorry for your loss, she was so cute, My prayers go out to you and your mare, give her a big hug from me.

My heart goes out to you and your little filly. It is so sad to experiance the miracle of birth and the tragedy of death on the same day and it does make one question the viability of breeding. This is also our first year for foals and we also had a tradgedy too that just broke our hearts... a mare we had bought bred delivered a beautifull white blue eyed filly with a little black on her tail and black mottling on her belly and black mottling around her mouth. She was up and nursing quickly and looked to be in perfect health. As time went on she lost her interest in nursing and seemed weak so we called the vet and started milking mom and syringing it into baby. We also gave baby an enema but she didn't have a movement. Our vet arrived and we syringed more milk into baby and he gave her annother enema with no results. At this point my vet started thinking Lethal white Overo but I wasn't convinced because of the black markings. Our vet did a rectal exam and he thought her rectum came to a dead end and that we should put the foal down. I was still uncertain as to whether this little filly was a victim of LWO or just had a nasty impaction so our vet tried inserting thin flexiable tubing to navagate her intestines. He came to the conclusion that her rectum was not attached to her intestines and we put her down. She was only 13 hours old. We did do a Necropsy for my peace of mind and our vet thought it would also be educational for him. The Necropsy did confirm that the filly's intestine was incomplete and had several dead ends and some sections of her intestines had already turned purlple and were dead. Deciding whether or not to put that filly down was one of the hardest things I ever had to do. It turned out to be the right decision but if I had found out otherwise I would have had a hard time living with myself. I'm sure that your decision was every bit as difficult for you and the choice you made was the most compasionate one.

Latest posts

Back