Mare in Foal Question due Aug 2008

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBhorses

Reaction score
Hello,

our mare who is due first breeding Aug 13, 2008 last breeding Aug. 21.her 300 day mark is July 16.So when do I give her shots? She foaled one month early last year. My vet said to keep a close eye on her. She was confirmed in foal by our vet. Our vet check her the other day when he was here for a new foal.She is our last mare due this year. We are praying all goes well for her and her foal.From the side she looks pregnant but from behind she don't.

She is not that big to me.

what do you think?Is she still in foal or what?She has had four foals to date. We were told she foals easy. She had her foal last year a month early.We are praying to holds onto this foal, we sold the sire last week.She eats alot.We have had five other mares this year in foal.We have two others that didn't gain alot of weight.Do others have mares who don't gain alot of weight?She was confirmed in Foal, so I pray there is still a foal in there.

thanks

DSC08069-1.jpg
photos 5/24/08

DSC08068-2.jpg
udder from today 5/24/08

DSC08068-1.jpg
5/24/08 photo

DSC08073-1.jpg
photo 5/24/08

DSC08075-1.jpg
photo from today 5/24/08

here she is with last year's filly. we brought her this past summer

GetAttachment3-1.jpg
I would have love to own her filly from last year. She was a smokey black overo with blue eyes.but she was sold. The filly sire was Bear Branch black stud.

This year she is bred to our bay pinto stud we just sold.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally I think you would be fine to give her the vaccinations 2 weeks before her 300 days -- I believe that it takes 2 weeks to pass through the milk to the foal -- and the optimal time is for them to be 30 days before they foal but in her case since she is known to foal early I might would do it just 2 weeks earlier to be safe...

Maybe some others will have some better advice for you
default_smile.png

As far as mares that dont show I have several mares that dont really look bred to me until the last month or two and then it seems like BOOM they are huge
default_smile.png

Good luck....

How did you figure that 300 days is July 16? i would think it would be in June? I am confused

How did you figure that 300 days is July 16? i would think it would be in June? I am confused
Royal Crescent is right - 300 days would be June 17.
default_yes.gif

Once again, when someone says their mare foaled "a month early" I have to ask - according to what? If the estimate was based on 340 days... then 310 days is very normal for many mini mares - and not "early" at all....

By the last bred date I come up with June 21 being 300 days, based on August 21 last bred date.

I am hoping this is not the mare that aborted this morning.

Hello,

Yes

This is the mare who abort a FINE tovero blue eyed filly.

thanks everyone.

I have been heart broke all day.
default_no.gif

Latest posts

Back