Mare in foal or not in foal???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wc minis

Reaction score
Hi, I have this mare, and she always keeps me guessing
default_smile.png
According to her last breed date, she would be 296 days today. All of my other mares have been in full heats and have been bred for next season. This mare, I am unsure if she looks bred. She seems over weight, but not huge like my other mares seem to get when they are in their last few months. This would be her 2nd foal. She also acts really uncomfy, kicks her belly, lays flat out etc.... She has had milk, clear white liquid in her bag since April. She also has a small bag. Here is my mystery girl. Thanks

IMG_3126.jpg

IMG_3127.jpg

IMG_3123.jpg

IMG_3130.jpg

She looks like she is in foal to me. That milk line just before her udders is really visable.

Good luck with her.

Carlene

I'd say watch her..........She looks like she could be, especially for just a second pregnancy.

...especially since she doesn't look to be bigger in other areas besides that belly, I would watch closely too. In fact I am watching one in similar circumstances that is on her 2nd foal and bagged up a little, but I sure wish I had a reliable foaling date (she was pasture bred by previous owner).

She is such a pretty girl!

Possibly. ..... she looks like she might be.

I have one that is making me wonder as well.

The trouble with watching a mare who is after all, not in foal, we are then breeding very late in the year.

She actually looks just like my mare small everywhere but her tummy with the little fat just before her bag. She is not in foal, in fact we just bred her back. Good luck I hope yours is differant
default_smile.png

Thanks!! I have her under cam in the barn at night. I check her every day too!! Last year she was bred at the end of May, and than didnt come back into heat until August, so we hand bred her again. I was watching for the earlier date, but that time has passed by.... Also, she has not been in heat this season like the rest of my mares
default_smile.png
So that is what makes me think she is.
default_laugh.png

This year, I have decided to have the vet out for ultrasounds, I dont like the guessing game
default_wacko.png

I am going through the same thing right now with my mare. My mare looks the same and has not come in heat this yr either. I hope your mare is pregnant. Would give me hope. LOL.

Alisha

Here is a picture of her bag tonight. I guess I havent looked at a mare that is not in foal to see if there is a difference. Anyone else?

IMG_3206-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I have updated pictures
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
I think now for sure she is in foal and will be foaling soon, meaning when she is ready
default_yes.gif
Her bag has gotten bigger, by her bag she seems to have a little bit to go, and I think she is loosing her mucus plug since Saturday. She did this last year, and it really made me nervous. But here are the new pictures, she is 303 days today. Sorry if the pictures are big, sometimes I cant get photo bucket to resize them the right way
default_smile.png

IMG_3231.jpg

IMG_3232.jpg

She sure is a pretty mare! Looking forward to the foal!
default_yes.gif
default_aktion033.gif

Have you tried feeling for movement? I have always had luck feeling the foals move after our mares ate. I would watch her close. Please keep us updated, hope you are enjoying a foal soon
default_smile.png

Thanks, she is one of my favorite mares. Last year she gave me a tiny, refined cremello filly, that I still havent pried out of my hands
default_yes.gif

This mare is really on the reserved/shy side. Last year, I could not take pictures or even hardly touch her or her udder without getting kicked. She has come along way with ALOT of patience. As far as feeling for movement, I am lucky if I can touch her sides or under her belly for 5 seconds. I think I have seen movement, while and after she is eating. This year, she does let me check her udder and gives me about 5 seconds to check her milk. So I am not complaining, she is 100% better than last year. Since yesterday, she has spent alot of time laying down on her side stretched out in her stall. When she goes outside, she rolls and sits like a dog to itch her belly, quite a funny thing to watch. Her bag has had the crease gone and than it goes back. So here I sit and
default_new_shocked.gif
I will keep you updated. I think last year after she lost the mucus plug it was within a week or 10 days that she foaled
default_smile.png

Hi. Just thought I would give an update on my mare. She is really starting to make me wonder if she is in foal or not. I did have the vet here last week to check her, but he tried to palpate her and he said he couldnt go in any farther to check saying she was really small inside for him. So we did take a blood test and that should be back by the end of the week. She has a small bag and has had white skim milk in it for quite a while. She also has not been in heat all summer, this is why she is really got me confused. Here are some updated pictures from last night of my mystery girl
default_biggrin.png

IMG_3877.jpg

IMG_3874.jpg

Latest posts

Back