Mare in foal or not in foal???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am going to be the party pooper and say no, I don't think she is in foal. Here is my mare this year at about the same gestation your mare is at..and she came up open. Same exact signs as your mare, milk, tail rubbing, rolling, lying down a lot, milk veins etc.

april23.jpg

photonew%20012.jpg

I guess there are a lot of us wondering! :DOH!

Darn Minis!
default_wacko.png
Gotta love them!
default_wub.png

Have you felt any movement? Can you post a pic of her from behind?

Here is a picture of her back side. She is not very wide, but she is pretty low when she doesnt stretch out for her pictures. I also attached pictures of her udder. (my horses up here are starting to work on their winter coats) I have been testing the milk in there and the ph is 8.4, a light pink, and than the calcium for the past week or 2 has went from 200 to 400 almost to 1000. (using the pool test strips). Also, in the last 2 days, she has had little plugs on the end of her nipples, and she has not had them before. Her bag I know is not that big if any at all, but this is how she foaled last year and she was a maiden so I was hoping for a little more this year. I am hoping I hear from the vet today
default_smile.png
If she is in foal she would be at 333 days today, last year she foaled at 342. Thanks for looking.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/mymi...ny/IMG_3949.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/mymi...ny/IMG_3895.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/mymi...ny/IMG_3898.jpg

I say no.

Do you hand or pasture breed? The reason I ask is not all mares show heat. MY moms mare very seldom shows heat. I let my horses pasture breed and write down the dates they breed. Her, I have only seen her get bred a few times, and she is 13 years old, has had a foal every year since she was four. But I am lucky with her, she settles on her first breeding every year.

We hand breed. I also am thinking she is not, but one can only hope
default_smile.png
I just just talk to the vet, and the test is not back yet today. Hopefully tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
I say no. I had a mare that was actually bigger than yours and had a bag and everything. I had her ultra sounded 3 times because I didn't believe the vets. Every time she came up open and it was determined that she had a false pregnancy. Even my vets when looking at her would say definitely she is pregnant, but the ultra sound would not agree. Horse friends that came over would say "boy she is huge when is she do". Even non horsey people would ask when she was do. Well this mare could look at food and gain weight.

So I am going to say your mare is a little fat and might be having a false pregnancy.

Vet called today with the blood test results, and now we still dont know for sure. He said that the if the number came in at 4500 or less she is not in foal, if the number came in at 5500 or higher that she is in foal. Well guess what her number is at 5157. She is in the inconclusive area between 4500 and 5500. There are a few things it could mean, I have to call him back tomorrow as I was traveling in the car when he called me. Does anyone have any experience with this test? I say by looking at this mare and studying her day after day for the past 3 months, she is not in foal. I think I have seen movement, but it has been a slight movement, nothing certain like what I have seen in my other mares. I guess now I have to sit here and wait..... :arg!

Anyone????? There sure are a lot of lookers on the post and I am sure some of you have had experiences with the blood tests?

If you are over 333 days and her body looks like that and her nipples look like that with no bag, I am sorry to say this, but no she is not pregnant.

Latest posts

Back