mare has milk but no bag

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yankee_minis

Reaction score
What's with that? We have had milk since Memorial Day weekend (end of May) when we picked her up. It was clear and whitish then. Since July 20 it's been yellowish.

She doesn't show her pregnancy-- according to the previous owner. Her belly is just barely rounded and not droopy, but it is big. She was pasture bred until September. So it could be a while.

But what's with the milk??

Mare stare is wreaking havoc with me. She's the last one we're expecting. Good thing I'm not working or I'd be fired for poor quality work and sleeping on the job.
wacko.gif

my mare that just foaled last night. Had no milk even after she had the foal just the clear/yellowish colostrum.

So dont worry she does not have to have milk to foal it can come up to 2-3 days after the foal is born. Foals survive fine on colostrum.

Normally I find the milk comes in about 4 hours before foaling (changes kinda whitish) - but not always.

Maybe because she is closer she has made more colstrum - making the it clear & yellow.

She has no bag...none. I've had mares foal without milk before, but not one with a bag so small!

The milk is slowly changing to a much lighter yellow. Maybe this is a sign. But since she had white milk in May...um...then it went to yellow on July 20....now it's turning less yellow...WHO KNOWS???
new_shocked.gif

All I can say is she better be pregnant!!

My mare who foaled in early July started in late May with skim milk color liquid, we then proceeded to sticky skim milk color liquid and two days before she foaled on July 7th she had yellow colored milk. WATCH YOUR MARE!!! it could be anytime.

Does she look like she is about to pop??

I thought of you as an old pro at this!!!

These mares sure keep us guessing!

I was at my friends today and one of her mares is 20 and has a 5 week old colt at her side, she really looks like she is due any day with twins!!!!!!!!!!!

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

She could be due anytime this month, right!!

I thought yellow milk meant they were real close??????????

I am NO help!

Sorry!!!!!!!

OR...... you will hate me for this....you have one very weird mare who can and does produce milk for no reason.......do not mock me
biggrin.gif
a lady I knew and rode with for years had a morab mare who produced a bag with milk for years after having a foal AND get this would accept any foal put in her pasture regardless of it's age
new_shocked.gif
new_shocked.gif
strangest darn thing I have ever seen. She finally bred her out of pity as the mare wanted to be a mama again so bad she had a lovely foal that had to be sent away for weaning and then seperated when she came back because ...you guessed it....the mare wouldn't dry up EVER.

runamuk said:
OR...... you will hate me for this....you have one very weird mare who can and does produce milk for no reason.......do not mock me
biggrin.gif
  a lady I knew and rode with for years had a morab mare who produced a bag with milk for years after having a foal AND get this would accept any foal put in her pasture regardless of it's age
new_shocked.gif

new_shocked.gif
  strangest darn thing I have ever seen.  She finally bred her out of pity as the mare wanted to be a mama again so bad she had a lovely foal that had to be sent away for weaning and then seperated when she came back because ...you guessed it....the mare wouldn't dry up EVER.
442296[/snapback]

I have a mare like that a 14.3hh australian stockhorse she is 28yrs and you can not run her with foals as she will adopt them and feed them (makes milk).

She is currently eyeing off my 17" newborn mini!

Back