Mare due any time..Questions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Royal Crescent

Reaction score
default_saludando.gif
I have a mare who is at 347 days, so we are watching her closely. When testing her milk, you can express orange, curdy stuff with some clear behind I think. We don't know if this is common. Her last foal was 2 years ago. Should I express more out until it clears or leave it alone? Do you think it would be harmful to the foal? Thanks for any feedback!
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I would express some more out. If it's still curdy, call your vet. Is her bag overly warm? If so, I would tell your vet of that too.

The discharge does not look purulent and the bag is not warm. It is just very thick and orange. She does not act like it is bothering her. I am more concerned about if the foal comes and if it has not cleared.

I am not an expert, but I would leave it alone and just call your vet, and ask the question over the phone. I have seen rusty color milk in horses. I have seen really thick yellow nearly orange.

In humans colostrum comes in many colors and I have even seen a weird shade of green and it was STILL fed to human premies.

However there are a LOT of people on this board that have way more experience than me.

I just wouldn't want to see you milk her out trying to clear it up before a foal is born.

JMHO,

Robin

Last edited by a moderator:
Ealier this year I had a mare with lots of "cruddy" actually slimy gunk in her "milk" when I expressed to test the calcium level. She did have a foal last year that was weaned last July. I called the vet to ask about it and he got really upset with me and told me not to express any more from her.

I waited a few days and did express more to test the calcium and am glad that I did since she foaled at 312 days. Thanks to the test I knew she would.

My last mare to foal isn't due until the end of this month. Periodically I express a little and check the color and consistency. Hers is yellow. Looks just like urine. So much fun!!!

Happy foaling to you!!!

Thanks. I am hoping she is going to foal in the next day or so as Sue says she has more bag today. There is a storm system coming through too, which I hear may bring a foal with it. So be sure to send that filly fairy my way. I like my boys
default_wub.png
, but I would like to have a filly this time!
default_yes.gif

It was the curdily stuff you described that made me wonder......... The orange liquid is what we just had from our last mare who foaled. She didn't get sticky liquid until she foaled, and then - BOOM. Sticky and milky.

Latest posts

Back