mare doesn't want to breed?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobinRTrueJoy

Reaction score
What happens if a mare refuses to let a stallion breed her? What happens to the stud fee? The owner is not interested in my other stallion, only my homozygous black pinto. (Besides I think the other stallion is way too tiny to reach this mare., even with help.)

Thanks!

I would expect to be paid for the mare care/board and refund the stud fee. Some mares just do not like a certain stallion.

Keesha is doing this now. Been a faithful breeding mare for the last 13 yrs but she absolutely hates Glow. No way no how. She is going to meet a very handsome older gentleman and will be spending some courtin time with him til she catches.

If I were the stallion owner, I would refund the stud fee. I'm not saying that there's an obligation to do so (not sure), but I think it would be worth it to not create bad word-of-mouth.

If I were the mare owner, I'd have the vet look the mare over. She may be having problems with cysts on her ovaries or something along those lines.

IN fact, thinking a little harder, as the stallion owner, I might state that the mare needs to be vet checked then come back to try again, and would probably say that's to be done and a copy of the vet write up provided to you, then if it doesn't work the next time after vet checking / treatment, then I'd refund.

Jill said:
IN fact, thinking a little harder, as the stallion owner, I might state that the mare needs to be vet checked then come back to try again, and would probably say that's to be done and a copy of the vet write up provided to you, then if it doesn't work the next time after vet checking / treatment, then I'd refund.[/color]

451491[/snapback]

I would hope as the stallion owner they asked for a clean culture and such before the horse arrived and if it were me I would ask for a gutteral pouch scope as well but .. As a stallion owner I think I would (assuming the mare cultured clean previous or after the fact) offer to re breed to a different mare.

I think Lisa is absolutely correct on this one! Truely not the stallions fault obviously and another mare offer would be appropriate. Not sure what guttural pouch infection has to do with it tho? But any infection in her system could throw her off, and of course uterine infections would as well.

You can of course " bring the mare in" as well. You would need to consult the owners and your vet first on their recommendations.

Beth

Maybe she just doesn't like his looks?????
biggrin.gif

If there is not a problem with the mare, I think stud fee needs to be returned, not mare care fee though, or offer for a 2nd mare. Nothing of this in contract?

I had a mare run with a stud for 6 months last year, she hated that boy and he was a wonderful kind stallion. But he couldn't get within 50 feet of her without her pinning back ears and giving him the, don't touch me look.

Hand bred her to Wild Man in April, and she stood there without ever making Tango think it wasn't ok to approach her. She even tolerated his 2 year old antics.
wacko.gif

I had this happen with an arabian mare many years ago. She just did not LIKE the stallion and refused to have anything to do with him! She loved the neighbor's quarter horse stallion tho! LOL the people refunded the stud fee but i still paid the mare care. the mare was cultured clean and vet checked before she went there---just did NOT like their stallion! jennifer
saludando.gif

I had a mare(one of my own)who absolutely HATED the stallion I wished to breed her to, one year. So happened I had another, young and very quiet, stallion that year-I had a set up where I teased the mares through a HD pipe gate(wide openings, no "stuck"heads.) I tied the young stallion inside the run, he teased the mare through the gate-when she responded, I bred her with the stallion she disliked(who was also easy to handle, and not too vocal)-it worked-she never knew the difference, and settled(had to do it for several covers, of course!) The young stallion looked a little peeved, but he was safely tied inside of a secure run!

I had to do this by myself; it would probably be better/safer with help-but, it might be an option.
ohmy.gif

I had a mare a few years back that would not breed to my stallion (she had a foal at side). No matter how we tried with having the foal be held by someone nearby, putting foal in stall ect that mare was having none of it and seemed tense all the time. After three days I told the owner that I didn't think it was good for the mare to be so stressed and I wasn't going to push her cause we dont' breed unwilling mares so she took her home. The mare was receptive to another stallion later that summer and conceived. Must not of liked my stallion (and he was a pushy breeder).

Tammie

I didn't charge anything to the mare owner.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would not charge for a breeding if the mare did not accept my stallion, after all that is what I am charging for...a breeding to my stallion therefore would not find it right to take a stud fee. It can happen that a mare won't accept a certain stllion even though there isn't anything wrong with her health wise and I think it is part of dealing with mares who I would accept in for breeding. Mary

We had an outside mare last year that was to be bred to my appy stallion (he was 2 and inexperienced) and she just HATED him!! She loved my little pinto stallion though! The owner of the mare wanted appy and he was our only appy! This mare was also coming FIFTEEN hours to be bred as well so that put even more pressure on me. I had done this with another mare of mine who likes to scoot her butt back and forth when the stallion mounts so I decided to try it. What I did is almost make hobbles but a little different. I took 2 lead ropes, tied one around each leg (between the knee and hoof works best) and then led the mare head first into the corner. Then I took the lead ropes and tied them to the fence on each side. That kept my mare from scooching back and forth and it also keeps the mare from seeing the stallion. I talked to the owner about it and she said to go ahead and try it. It worked! There was no problems at all and it worked perfectly. I would NOT try this with a stallion that gets mean with his mares as that could turn disastrous. Also, always have somebody there just in case.
yes.gif

I have had to do the bait and switch for one of my stallions (who gets bored with the same mare or doesn't like that color.)
wacko.gif

I was told by another breeder that she was doing a bait and switch for both her stallions and the mares.
rolleyes.gif

Sometimes you just have to turn out the lights, put a little perfume behind her ears, candle light and a little mood music.
wink.gif

Robin

Latest posts

Back