Mare developing an udder only she's open

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Candice

Reaction score
This is a 15yr old mare. I've owned her since 06. I brought her home in July ultrasounded in foal. No foal resulted. I had a complete repro exam done and she checked out 100%, however she didn't come into heat until June of 07. I bred her on that cycle and she took. Last April her foal was transverse with a twisted cord and we pulled the foal. It was dead. In June she was cleared by the vet for breeding and she was covered 3x. I Had her ultrasounded at 21 days post breeding and she showed open. She never cycled again so the Vet was back out in November for a 2nd ultrasound. She would have been 127 days at that time but she ultrasounded open. I don't think the vet could have missed a pregnancy that advanced.

I've noticed her getting fatter so I've been cutting her feed back. Last week I noticed that I could feel her ribs but she still had a huge belly. I wormed in mid March so she's not wormy. When I felt her ribs I started increasing her feed again. This morning she came up for scratches and I was rubbing her belly and I could feel minimal swelling in front of her udder. I felt her udders and she's a little puffy like a mare at 275 days could be. No bag, just a start. I checked for fluid and came back with a wet hand. Doc says she very well could be in foal or it could be hormones. I won't have her ultrasounded for another couple of weeks when I have my mares we've just bred checked, but has anyone experienced anything like this???

I've had two mares that had had foals in the past and when the spring grass started to come in, they would get fluid in their udders. Maybe this is the case with your mare? Or maybe you'll have a suprise baby!

spring grass can cause udders to swell

but i will also say I have had a lot of friends that had mares ultrasounded "open" that were actually in foal. My vet said it is much harder to ultrasound a mini accurately

This happened to my neighbours pony too. She was hugely overweight though and once she lost weight, it went back to normal.

Yes, can get fluids from udder and still not be pregnant.
default_no.gif

Uh yes I have and I got a big surprize this past month that I will be announcing shortly!

Matt, this evening while she was in for the night I sat and watched her belly long enough to unnerve her a bit. I did quite a bit of feeling around and felt nothing that would convince me there is a foal in there. She more than likely is not pregnant, but I will have her ultrasounded towards the end of next week, whichever day Doc is headed over this way. She has quite a bit more udder development this evening than she did this morning. Knowing her it is more than likely hormonal but thought I would ask if anyone else had experienced anything like this before anyways.

If you hold your hand firmly a few inches in front of her udder for a couple minutes you should feel the foal move and it should be obvious at this point. Keep in mind that foals sleep and lie still so you need to try different times and maybe right after eating or drinking.

In the past I've always had the best luck feeling the foals move while Mom is chowing dinner or just thereafter. I've never used the wee foal test. I have 3 other mares that need checking anyways so I talked to Doc this morning and he'll be out either Wednesday or Thurs. of next week. He'll have a better idea on Monday of what his schedule will be.

Her udder is still gaining. She's a little more full on one side and is shaping up like I would expect if she were pregnant. We'll see..
default_wacko.png
default_frusty.gif
default_deadhorse2.gif
default_frusty.gif
default_gaah.gif
default_gaah.gif

I agree with KayKay. My vet missed two of my mares this year! Both were ultra-sounded as 'open' last May. One mare has already delivered her foal, and the other mare is obviously 'in foal!' Yes, even the best of vets can miss on the mini mares!

Pam C.

My mare didnt look pg. either and I NEVER saw any foal moving- even at feeding time and now seeing the results, I dont think it had room to move, LOL Her udder only looked SLIGHTLY different, and she had no nipples to speak of either.... (first foal)

I brought her in on Saturday p.m. and woke up to find an 'extra face' on Sunday a.m.!!!!!!!!!!

(see post on foal news at Heather Glen and fluffy mare update!)

Candice-

Hope Doc Shiver finds her in foal - sure would like to see an Echo baby!!!!! Not to mention that I know how much miss having a foal of your own this year. You know I'll share mine with you.

Barbie

Thankyou Barbie, You know I
default_wub.png
LOVE
default_wub.png
Your new little boy. I'll be over next weekend for my "foal fix". Yes, I want to see an Echo baby running around here too. I've got everything crossed, but sincerly believe she is not in foal, even though I swore I felt a kick and Courtney swears she saw it last night.

I just wanted to add that we had a mare vet checked in foal the previous year and then she started bagging and everything but never had a baby and eventually came into heat and it turned out that she actually had a false pregnancy. Maybe this can work in reverse too
default_rolleyes.gif

Candice did the vet to an external or internal ultrasound at 127 days?

Joanne, It was an internal and I saw the screen with my very own eyes, that is why I'm very skeptical that it was missed. I won't waste my time or money on an external ultrasound.

There is no margin for error here where there could have been a "late night liason" as Baskemiss suggested. Everyone is stalled at night and I have no climb fence so no "hanky panky" going on. When our little stallion first arrived here last year he was extremely aggressive (His whole world was turned completely upside down) and we had to take a lot of precautions in our set up to make sure he couldn't get to anyone in anyway. Now that he is settled in he is the sweetest guy.

Can't wait til next week to find out "for sure". My daughter has maintained that the ultrasound was wrong from the get go and still insists that she is in foal.

Back