mare big! twins???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TPs flat rock acres

Reaction score
has anyone every had twins? if so any photos of the mare while she was preg? I think my mare is bigger then last year

some body did post pics, I think it was last year! I once had a mare that I thought was carring twins, nope just a big ole colt! I don't know if vet can do sono late in the pregnancy, that would be the only way to tell. I had a vet try to do one externally and it showed nothing.

She might just be really big. I swear shes bigger then last year. God I hope she has it soon shes so quite today

I was thinking this on my mare also..she delivered a colt ..i winder how common is it in miniatures...do u have pics...heres my wide load from the rear..before foaling today...lol

IMG_20120515_230733.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Although twins do happen, they are far less common in minis/ponies than in larger breeds.

Since 1945 @ Taylor Pony Farm there has been just 1 occurrence.

Dr Taylor

Can you post a pic of her from the rear? She's probably just a widey body, had plenty of them. HA HA including myself!

i will get a photo of her. do they carry different each time as I know she's bigger then the last time and the stallion isn't a big guy

I can understand your concern and certainly it's possible, but it's not probable. Is this her second foal? I ask because some folks, I don't know if I've personally seen this, swear the first foal is always tinier and subsequent foals are larger.

I wouldn't worry too much. She could just be carrying the foal side-to-side right now - the baby laying with head on the right and butt on the left. That makes them look huge! But once the foals move into foaling position (head toward mare's rump, butt towards mares shoulder) they slim up from side to side.

Here's one of my wide loads from 2007 (I believe). The filly was normal sized, just must have been laying across the mare in this shot. I believe this wad around day 330 or so. She foaled within a week or two if I remember correctly. The mare was experienced and about 17 years old in this shot. 33.75" mare.

butter328days2.jpg

Last edited:
My neighbors mare was so huge I truly was scared- and she was over due. She had the TINIEST colt, lol I also had one that was huge a couple of years back, and she also had a tiny filly- my smallest foal that year. So I just dont go by mare belly size any more.

ok seeing the photo above I don't feel so scared nowlol now this is like her 3rd or 4th foal 2nd for me she is like on day 350 give or take its the first day with the stallion

This year my mare actually looked pregnant. Well, she looked a little pregnant. Usually you can not tell that she is pregnant at all. We got a BIG colt! His legs are every bit as long as his moms and she is 34".

Latest posts

Back