Mare behavior

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kales

Reaction score
We picked up our rescue mare last night and she is the sweetest thing ever! She made the long haul with no problems at all.

Now my question is we have her separated from our other 2 minis, a 7yr old mare gracie and a 10yr old gelding Brady just until they all settle in with the new change. The new mare who's 18yrs has been softly nickering to our 2 through the fence. There was only a couple squeals last night. Now when ever the new mare is sniffing noses or nickering to Gracie through the fence Gracie kind of squarts her back end down and pees a little. There is no squealing or scream between the 2, but the new mare softly nickering. Is this a submissive or territorial move on Gracie's part?

Thanks

Just sounds like she's in heat and she thinks the new girl is a sexy stud lol

This is also a sign of sumittance to a dominant personality. Sort of like your cat or dog rolling belly up in front of you. The sub-serviant horse may squat and pee.

I agree with Sandee, it sounds like submission to me. I have a mare that will do this whenever another horse gets too close to her but she doesn't do it with the youngsters

Lol that's funny! Gracie was the one I thought would be the most difficult to get use to our new addition. Plus the new horse isn't acting aggressive at all. They will be buddies in no time
default_smile.png

Ok new question same topic. Now the new mare is lifting her tail and peeing by our gelding! Lol! Is she thinking he's a stud? Funny thing is he looks so confused by it haha! Will she give this up after awhile?

As if with all the snow melting the pens werent wet enough haha!

default_new_rofl.gif
kales ... I'm not laughing at you ... after reading the posts, I'm sitting here laughing cause I can picture all this going on in my mind and the more I read, the louder I laughed! It so funny to watch them though when you introduce them someone or something new and see how they react! On a side note ... I'm home on medical leave after knee surgery last week so I can sit here and watch mine all day and see what goes on here that I don't normally see when I'm at work .... they are just TOO FUNNY, aren't they?!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back