Mare and Stallion

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miniaddiction

Reaction score
I was wondering how you go about stallion sizes when you put your mares in foal... My Mare is 30'' , so what sized stallion would you think of putting her to for a first time? Can they cope with much larger than themselves or are you best to stay small for the little mares? I would like a slightly larger foal then her. Thanks, Helen

I would not go for more than 3" difference BUT it really depends on the stallions build!! I put my 30" mare (maiden) to a 34" stallion last year and she had the foal without any problems, but the stallion was very fine- all his height was on the legs, so the foal was tiny and light boned.

What type of build does the little mare have?

If she is thin framed and has a narrow body with fine, small legs and skinny hips then I would DEFINITELY breed her to something at least as small and refined as she is.

If she is deep bodied with a large wide hip then I would venture to breed her to something up to 2" taller than she is. Height alone is not the only deciding factor....you have to look at the body type.

Agree with others but just want to ADD......look into the size of the subject mare and stallion's parentage. It is not just the size of the breeding pair that you get if the backgrounds are large, you may get that. If backgrounds are smaller or similar, you will be more able to produce that.

This is why I am more confident with a taller animal from smaller parents than the opposite. Best if you can determine what each has been throwing into their past offspring, if any.

Last edited by a moderator:
i agree with all said,

it would be worth asking the stallion owner, to show you foals on the ground to mares similar to your own mare. foals/yearlings etc....

i'm always trying to do the opposite to you - so can't advise. Taller stallions can thro the tinest of foals if you're doubling up on bloodlines.

the fun is in the trying !

lil x
wink.gif

I think it is preference. I prefer a smaller stallion, so I can almost be sure birthing is easier. I have three full brothers, one will max at about 30 inches and the other two at 33, so there isn't any insurance on size you will get. Good luck and have fun.

My mare is very deep bodied but not huge in the hip... Stallion is all legs, that is what i want to balance out the deeper than usual body on my mare. Thanks for all the advice. Helen

Latest posts

Back