Mare and foal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoey829

Reaction score
I have a lady who is buy and a mare and her foal. But she wants the foal first and then the mare because she doesnt want to deal with the weaning. Alos, she feels the foal will bond with her better without the mare. I prefer her to take both at the same time!!! Waht is the best thing for the mare and foal.

Personally, if you do decide to separate them for her, I'd let her take the mare and leave the foal at your place, the mare will adapt easier to the new surroundings and cope with the stress of weaning/moving better than the baby will IMO.. Is it that she doesn't have the set-up to handle weaning or just doesn't want the 'stress' of an upset mom and baby?

I think taking both is much better. She will still have to deal with weaning at her place unless you keep the foal for say 2 months or more. Its very stressful to move a foal and wean at the same time. I have seperated foals from dams for 3 weeks and put them back and the weanling went right back to nursing.

I have seperated foals from dams for 3 weeks and put them back and the weanling went right back to nursing.

This has been our experience too. It would likely have to be a couple of months apart to ensure the baby didn't go back to nursing.

Sometimes the seller has to decide what is best for their horses.

I would try and educate the new owner on what is the least stressful for the horses involved.

I trhink shipping them both is the least stressful by far.
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back