Mare acting like a stallion

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magic

Reaction score
I have a good friend who has a five year old mare that is suddenly acting like a stallion-- screaming, and mounting the other mares. There are no stallions on the place, and there is no way this mare could be pregnant. My friend is baffled and wondering why this could be happening. Any ideas?

We have a couple of mares here that will mount other mares that are in heat. These are wonderful mares as they will let you know just in the situation your friend is in and if she wanted to breed that mare she would know the mare was ready.

These mares are also useful if you have a mare that has silent heats as often they can tell when a human does not see any signs of heat.

These mares are not common, but worth their weight in gold to a breeder!

I used to have a quarter horse mare that did that only a couple of times.

I thought it was a domanance thing or a sexual thing when she was in heat

We have a couple of mares here that will mount other mares that are in heat. These are wonderful mares as they will let you know just in the situation your friend is in and if she wanted to breed that mare she would know the mare was ready.

My friend doesn't breed anymore, so she isn't going to see the "plus side" in this, lol! I was hoping it was just that, and not some kind of cyst or something.

I have a mare that was mounting mares in heat last year, but my mare was pregnant. I thought maybe she was carrying a colt (thus causing more testosterone-like behavior) but it turned out she was carrying a filly. I'll have to keep an eye out and see if my mare does this again this year.

I believe that certain follicular cysts will make a mare act like this. Nathan has spoken to this in the past -- something about the cyst causing extra releases of testosterone and hence the stallion-like behavior. I have a mare that does this also - makes me crazy!

Stac

Nathan do you have any experience with Chasteberry for this type of behavior?

A cyst or ovarian tumor (which is very common in horses compared to humans) can make a horse act like this. If it came on suddenly I would think a repro exam is for sure in order.

Since she isn't going to be using this mare for breeding, just driving, could having a cyst (if that is what it is) be harmful to the mare's health?

I know there can be different types of cysts- I would have her looked at. I hear a tumor could possibly cause the same......

I know that in riding horses, mares with ovarian cysts can become unridable and practically unmanageable... rearing up, blowing up, etc... This would not make for a safe driving horse either.

I would surely have her looked at and diagnosed to see IF that is the problem, or if her hormones are just out of whack and raging for the spring season....

Latest posts

Back