MARE ABORTING

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sandy S.

Reaction score
I KNOW THERE IS PROBABLY NOTHING I CAN DO TO STOP IT, I HAVE A MARE CONTRACTING, SHE IS ABOUT 3 MONTHS IN FOAL. SHE IS ACTING NORMAL, EATING, POOPING, DOING FINE EXCEPT FOR YOU CAN SEE HER CONTRACTING AND EVERY ONCE IN AWHILE SHE LAYS DOWN DURING THEM.

VET SAID WATCH AND WAIT. SAID TO GIVE A LITTLE BANIMINE TO HELP EASE SOME OF THE PAIN.

SHE ACTED SAME WAY 3 YEARS AGO WHEN SHE ABORTED.

JUST WISH SOMETHING I COULD DO.

If she is going to abort it, there must be something wrong with the foal. The body knows when it is not right.

Sorry, but that is the way it goes sometimes.
no.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
There isn't anything you can do to stop it (as I know first hand -- if I were a brood mare, I'd be sleeping in the sales barn). You can just watch her so that if it happens, she can be examined to be sure nothing is retained. I am sorry this might be happening!

I'm so sorry, Sandy, but all you can do is what your vet advised.
no.gif

I would highly suggest that once it is done, that your mare be flushed and infused to make sure nothing is retained and that no infection remains.

MA

[SIZE=14pt]Sandy so sorry but I agree with Mary Ann. You need to get her flushed afterwards. You may or may not find anything. a 90 day fetus isnt very big.[/SIZE]

Lyn

I agree this is natures way of saying there is something wrong and has to get out of the mare.. Sorry to have you go through this but Mother Nature knows whats best
no.gif

I think that she is probably too far gone, but if you are desperate to keep this mare in foal, would Regumate and antibiotics help? If this foal is extra special, like maybe the stallion passed away or something? Otherwise after it is all over, have her checked and maybe flushed. She may be a mare that needs regumate to maintain a pregnancy?

sandy

Im so sorry!! our last mare that aborted just broke my heart as she was 10 months. There is nothing you can do once they start except watch and be sure they pass everything.

OH Sandy darn it!
frusty.gif
frusty.gif
frusty.gif
I'm so sad for you!

Sandy, this is my feelings: That the foal wasn't "right" and if he were to be born, he may not ever be healthy and happy. I think that God sees this and it's His plan. This is why we didn't go to extra-ordinary assistance to get Silver Belle in foal. If it wasn't meant to be, then it wasn't meant to be.

arrggg, I am so frustrated right now. Ok here is story. Hubby had to go to doctor first thing this morning and of course I had to go to work. Hubby takes first shift with minis with feeding and cleaning poop. He got home a little late, so they were not fed until around 10:30 this morning. He noticed that this mare was laying down in barn and didn't come out to eat. So he got her up and watched her, fed her, she ate, then she layed back down and he said that her flank contracted just like a mares does when in labor. He brought her in, put her in a stall, watched more, she ate her grain, she pooped, she drank, she started eating her hay. Then she layed down and kinda had another contraction. No rolling, he noticed a stream of blood come out of vulva, and some discharge. He called me. Call in to vet, vets office calls back, banamine and see what happens. Didn't talk to vet. Hubby doesn't give shots so I had him give her banamine orally. He called me every 20 minutes with an update. She seemed to start doing better. Off and on she was shivering, but it has been raining here and she was wet. He blanketed her when she was shivering and if she stopped he took it off, so she wouldn't get overheated. She still about every 30 minutes was laying down and acting like contractions, but not for very long. He had to leave for work at 2 so he called me again at work, said she seemed a little better but was still shivering off and on. I left work got home right after he left, took her temp and it was 103.8 so I immediately placed call to vet. Noticed still some discharge and a little straining when she peed, and when she layed down and strained a little several drops of blood came out with a little more discharge. Ok 1 hour passes and vet does not call me back, I call back and they say what she hasn't called you, we will call her again and tell her it is an emergency, they tell me since her temp is high to give her some bute to bring her temp down. Didn't tell me how much or anything, and I know minis and bute, I did give her about 1/10th of a pill, and 2 baby aspirins.

Temp started droping to 102.2 Still wait another hour and finally vet calls back. Says since she is only at the most 3 months along that she wouldn't have contractions at this stage if loosing foal. She shouldn't have any problems aborting and it would be non noticable. She thinks mare is colicy.

Continue to watch and give banamine but try to wait 12 hours. My gut feeling tells me this mare is aborting again. Am I that wrong. She has pooped one more time, she continues to pee but sometimes it seems like she is straining to pee, oh vet said that the blood is probably just dark pee and looks like blood, and sometimes they just have a discharge when colicy.

I just know my horses and this is really irritating me, can I be that totally wrong?

Time will tell I guess, but if anything else happens, a different vet is being called.

Ok need opinions here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, that's awful! I'm so sorry for your mare and for you. The first mare we ever had aborted at day 75 and it was the size of a kitten (4") Our mare acted like she had colic too. I told the vet my mare was aborting and he said she wasn't. The next morning, the foal was hanging out in a clear bubble of water connected to a cord.
no.gif

At 90 days, you would be able to notice, but she shouldn't have trouble passing it. I'm worried about the blood and temp your mare has. Wishing you all the best! {{{Hugs}}}

I would be worried too! Doesn't sound like a normal aborting to me. It sounds like she has an infection going on. Get a vet there IMO

Im sorry but yes 3 month mares DO have contractions. I watched one of my mares abort before I bought her. SHe was between 3-4 months preggers. SHe had contractions, and the baby was about the size of a baby pot bellied pig.

Well, I would insist that vet get out now, or I would get another, IMMEDIATELY. All of the things you mentioned would be a red alert for me. I would have a blood panel done to see what it told. When this happened to me this year it was Ally. I caught it early and it still cost me a week in the hospital under constant care.

Even if your vet is right and it is colic, they should come! Colic is an emergency, for gawd's sake!! I'd be having me some words with the vet.
new_argue.gif
The mare is clearly in distress, that isn't a give it a bute and call me in the morning situation!

I agree with the above posts. Get a vet out not just over the phone.

What you describe does not sound like typical colic....she was eating, drinking, AND pooping! And if your mare was aborting Normally, I would think she would have passed the fetus by now. And yes, at 3 months gestation, she will contract and you will see a fetus.

If your vet doesn't want to come, get another one.

Good luck

MA

JMO here... But I'd call Peterson and Smith in Summerville, Fl... Their repo center is one of the best in the country I hear... They had one of the first embryo transplants named Frosty....

The ladies that work there are awesome.... and might have some better advice then bute and call me in the morning... Jeez..

Our Silver ripped the corner of his little eye lid... The town was hopping with an auction, but our vet had this lady vet to us in 15 mins... She did mini surgery on his eye lid, sedated him, medicated his eye, put him on antibiotics...

and the charge for the house call on the bad eye was $41.00! Yikes.. what nice inexpensive people... !!

God Bless.... you all are in my prayers...

Lynn W

[SIZE=14pt]I agree with that fever and bloody discharge something isnt passing and she is getting an infection for sure if she doesnt already have one. Call another vet if you can. I never had an abortion at that age so I didnt realize that was how big they were.[/SIZE]

Lyn

Latest posts

Back