Mare Aborted

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope you find that it has come out this morning.

I'm always surprised that vets do not manually remove the placenta after a delivery like that! Here, the vets that I use, do. I had a dystocia here a couple of weeks ago. After removing the foal, my vet removed the placenta. My neighbor had a mare with a dystocia night before last. We took her to the vet hospital. Again, after delivering the foal, the vet there removed the placenta.

There are so many things that can go wrong with leaving a placenta in a mare that I like to see those come out no more than 3 hours after foaling. As per my vets instructions, I will apply gentle traction to the placenta twisting it counter clockwise until it is removed. I always have my vet flush and infuse a mare anytime the placenta has been retained more than three hours.

Good luck with your mare!

How is your mare this morning Hillary? I hope you are having better luck than we are! The placenta was still hanging there this morning and we had the vet out again. The uterus has closed down on it and it is stuck in there tight!!! She managed to loosen a fair bit more of it off but it is rotting and getting really mushy and the majority of it fell off. What is left in there is about 30% of the placenta
default_sad.png
We flushed her again and will be doing that several more times today. The vet left us with enough supplies to get us through the weekend flushing 4 times daily - we flush and drain her and then flush her with antibiotics and leave them in there. We have her on Uniprim once daily, banamine once daily, 24 cc's Penicillin twice daily and 10 cc's of IV antibiotic once daily. She is so far showing no signs of founder or colic but is feverish and depressed. We have her blanketed well and out in the snow. I have never seen a placenta retained as badly as this before.
default_no.gif

I am so sorry for the loss of your foal, I hope mom is doing better this morning, so sorry your going through this. Prayers being sent your way.

still has not come out and was still firmly attached when she was at the vets this morning. more HAS come out. I weighted it last night and it had come out probably a good 10 inches or more and when i got home from the vets it was about on the ground and i tied it up a bit more. it's so frustrating!!

I aske dhim if i could flush her myself at home ect and he was very reluctant but told me to talk to the repro vet that will be working tomorrow (the one i had wanted to see her to begin with) i'm guessing he'll let me. anyhow i'll let you all know more when i know more.

I got the photo's today of the fetus so i'll probably post them a little later.

Dang, I'm sorry to hear that, been hoping for better news. Maybe the repro vet will be more help? Keeping your mares in my prayers, this is a nightmare of mine (but I have several!)

Oh and I can't remember for sure how long my mare had the retained placenta, it's been quite a few years, but I'm thinking it was the next day that we took her in to the vet (he'd seen her in her stall the previous day) and he manually removed it, sorry I can't remember for sure though.
default_sad.png

I just wanted to say how sorry I was for the loss of your foal.
default_no.gif
I hope the placenta comes out soon and your mare is okay.
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif

well i hate to jinx myself but i think we have some good progress. Looks like what i'm assuming is the actual placenta is starting to come out. it's a brown textured (almost like liver maybe?) coming out. I put some pressure on it and it came out another 3 or 4 inches i'd say. She immediately laid down though so I stopped figured i'd go back and try again in a little bit... but i think we have progress!! here's hoping!!

I sure hope u can get it out of there! What a mess, having to do "do it your self" vet care. Sounds like at least 2 or 3 people on here are all having similar problems. Hope all your mares make it through ok.

Hillary

The fact that it seems to be staying intact is a good thing. Be very careful putting pressure on as you dont want it coming apart and the longer it goes the more fragile it is. Is there no way you can talk to the repro vet before tomorrow? Call my vets overnight emergency line perhaps she could help you. The owner is on call this weekend.I truly think this is an emergency at this point but then I think the possibility of losing a foal is an emergency and was told Thurs morning that a few hours wouldnt matter, but thats another story altogether. Im Pming you.

Nita

yay it's out! it came out about 2 hours ago i applied pressure again and it came out in just a few seconds just slipped right out really. I'm pretty sure it's all intact but she'll be going to the vets tomorrow for flushing again anyhow so i'm sure he'll know if it's all out. BOY AM I RELEIVED... i didn't relise how stressed i've been over this.

I know that feeling all too well! The happy dance, the "Thank You Lord!", and the huge hug you probably immediately gave your girl.

I hope she makes a full recovery,

Carolyn

lol yeah..now as long as there's no other complications (i'm always waiting for the other shoe to drop because it's just my luck). She hasn't been eating much if anything so i'm hoping this isn't going to continue to b ea problem!

I am so glad for you that you got yours out in one piece! How is her temperature? She is likely to be full of infection with it staying in that long. Have you got her on some heavy duty antibiotics? I would bag up the placenta and keep it moist so that the vet can check it out for you and make sure it all came out. Even a tiny piece left in there can cause infection and laminitis, etc. I hope yours has a happy ending as well as ours!

Well she still hasnt' eaten much/anything tonight and is quiet. Her temp has gone up to someplace a little over 100 degree's and till this point it's been at 98... HOWEVER she hasn't had banimine since early morning. Vet didn't want her to stay on bannimine because he was very worried about ulcers as well.... sooo i'm wondering if that hasn't made it go up a bit. i'm just hoping it's not infection setting in.

I have had only one retained placent after a premie abortion at 240 days, many years ago. The mare retained peices of placenta and was flushed every day for 7 days.

Robin

This morning our mare was quite feisty!!! Yesterday her head was drooping, eyes dull and looked quite depressed. She came in this morning almost lively! There were chunks of placenta in her tail which means she was cleaning herself out in the night. Her temperature is back to normal. She was quite a bit tighter going in and we ran 4 smaller bags of fluid through her. The first came out quite thick and cloudy dark red with all kinds of chunks in it. The rest got gradually clearer till the last one was almost clear with only small bits of detritus in it. We gave her a bag with 4 cc's of antibiotics in it which she very promptly pushed right back out in a huge gush!!! That was so good to see even though it is supposed to stay in there to keep her clean - at least we know her uterus is back in working order.
default_yes.gif
Gave her IV antibiotics, penicillin intramuscular, some more banamine and Uniprim powder in her grain. She is looking great!!!! Feet are staying cold and she is completely sound on them. I really think for the first time that she is going to come through this just fine. Hoping the same for your mare!!!

Back