Mare aborted

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whimsical

Reaction score
I just had a mare abort. Still not totally sure which one it was. And it is very hard to get a vet to ultrasound here. But I wanted to know what you guys thought about the foal. I, of course want to think that it was abnormal and this was just nature taking its course. But be honest if you feel it is normal. I would much rather hear the truth.

I think I have narrowed it down to two mares. One being 133 days and one being 115 days.

abort1.JPG

abort2.JPG

abort3.JPG

In the last picture it appears to be a raised section of the head. I know it is a bad shot but you can get the outline. I just don't know if this is normal for this age?

Thanks to you all for being here when others need you.

I have lost several over the years and it looks very normal to me too.

I am so sorry you lost it.
default_sad.png

Susan O.

Look comparable to be a normal foal on Crayonbox Miniatures Website. Sorry you lost it thats horrible :no:

I suppose what I am truely basing my opinion on is the fact that the top of the head is not smooth. There is an indintion that goes around where the brain would be across the front. The sides though looked normal. I do appreciate all your help. It is very disappointing for me.

So sorry for your loss, the fetus does look normal to me, I just lost a very abnormal foal a few weeks ago.

Last year I lost one that was perfectly normal, I am not sure why, unless the mare was kicked because that foal was perfect.

Either way it is hard.......I hope you figure out which mare it was, I know for me I knew both times, 1st time, she wouldn't leave it(the normal one)

Second time, her water broke and after 4-5 hours I had to take her in to get the fetus removed.

I am sorry.
default_sad.png

So sorry for your loss! i had my first loss a few weeks ago and it looked just like this one. the vet checked him out and said he was externally normal. probably some interior abnormality we cannot see. take care! jennifer

Last edited by a moderator:
Did yours also have the "cap" or indintion on the head? All the ones I see on the Crayonbox website seem to have smooth heads.

Back