Mare aborted at 3 months.......

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loess Hills

Reaction score
Sioux City, Iowa - on the Lewis & Clark Trail
Doing chores yesterday morning and found a small fetus and placenta in our senior mare's stall. She was about 3 months along. So shocking and sad.
no.gif
no.gif
. The mare is in excellent health, no cramping, no blood, eating and behaving normally, was even running a little in the pasture later that day. Now she seems really concerned about her 5 month old filly, who was weaned a month ago. Calling to her and watching her through the fence.

Examining the fetus showed a perfect little horse in miniature about the size of a man's fist. Appeared to be a pinto, no deformities, beautiful little head, legs, and even tiny hooves. We buried him and in my mind I have named him Regret. I find myself grieving for him. We were so looking forward to his growth and coming into the world. But guess that was not to be. This is the first time we have had a mare abort spontaneously. Anyone have any experience with this? Will the mare be able to concieve next year?

Please share any similar experiences you may have had with spontaneous abortion and how it affected the mare, we're just hoping she will be alright as she seems fine physically, eating and drinking normally.

I'm so sorry. A loss at any time hurts just as much. Perhaps others can help with more details, I just wanted to say how sorry I was.

I'm sorry for your disappointment......Don't be too worried, though. A three month abortion isn't uncommon.

There could be a number of reasons for it, you never know. Perhaps the fetus had an internal defect that you couldn't see. Perhaps your mare has a mild uterine infection. Perhaps the umbilical cord twisted wrong or got pinched in some way that compromised the blood flow to the fetus......

One thing an abortion does tell you is that it is Mother Natures way of saying that SOMETHING was wrong.

If it were my mare, I would give her a uterine flush, just to rule out the possibility of an infection. Her cervix is probably still open right now to do it. (Your vet will tell you.) If not, you will have to wait until she goes into heat again.

Please don't be hard on yourself.

MA

Hi

Maryann is correct. A three month abortion is simply not uncommon. In fact other months too. I don't think you will ever be able to tell what really happened. I have had neurcropsies done as well and it simply a waste of money. They never can give you a conclusive answer.

I guess this is just one of those "mini things that happen".

I am sorry your mare lost her foal!

Beth

It is my understanding that in the EQUINE (not just minis) SPECIES that only 67% of the CONCEIVED foals make it to live birth.. that's in a good year.

Many are "slipped" or "aborted" along the way.. within days of conception, weeks, months.. and of course even still births.

It is sad when it happens.. but there is usually a good reason for it (according to mother nature). You can have an autopsy performed on the fetus if you want to know the cause.. SOMETIMES they can tell you what happened.. sometimes they can't.

SOMETIMES a mare's hormone level is not right.. that is why some mares have to stay on Regumate to remain pregnant. This is not a cheap thing.. but has to be administered daily to keep them pregnant. I have a mare like this. She produced several foals naturally in her younger days, but now she requires Regumate to deliver a live foal -- otherwise she delivers them in the 225 - 275 day timeframe

As to your mare --- I also would have the mare flushed to make sure she is ready for 2006 breeding season.

I am sorry for your loss.. {{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}

JJay

I am so sorry Rose and Aaron.....I don't have any advice to offer but will be thinking of you guys. Glad your mare is going to be ok and give her a big hug!

I'm so sorry, it's hard to loose them at any stage. But, sometimes we just aren't able to have a 'why'... it just is.

I, too, am so very sorry for your loss. I was touched by the fact that you gave this sweet little baby a name to carry with him.....Bless you all.

I'm so sorry your mare lost her foal, but I'd sure have her flushed and infused. She might have a low grade infection that needs to be cleared up so she will get in foal and carry to term the next time.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and advice. I guess one learns to accept what Nature decrees, and we're just glad the mare is fine.

I really appreciate your experiences, as we've never had this happen. It seems there are a lot of things with horses we keep experiencing that we're not always prepared for. Maybe in another 20-25 years we'll learn it all!

Latest posts

Back