mane turning pink & falling out

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TNT

Reaction score
Please help...our minis mane is turning pink and falling out. Any ideas? Thanks!

Pictures? To see how pink, etc.

Where are you located? Might help pin point a possible culprit.

What do you feed? (all feed, what you give and any pasture or hand grazing, weeds in the area) It could be from an imbalanced diet, something missing, too much of something.

Up to date on deworming and vaccines? What did you give? When?

Have you talked to your vet? [i know this should have been the first question, but its on the list.]

Have you recently sprayed for weeds or fertilized? Or any neighbors? Or even the city or county spraying ditches?

We do have a red shed but we have never seen him rubbing against it, have a red fence too but we don't think that is it either. Thanks

Jean and I were posting at the same time and she finished before I did. I have a cremello (white) filly that is rubbing her mane horribly on a metal panel, so hers is charcoal grey and getting thinner. I didn't even think of the rubbing aspect of it.

Will post pics later. Yep, he is up to date on worming and vaccines. Vet was here and thought it might lice or mites, gave us a treatment, I was just curious if anyone else had issues with pink mane. Haven't sprayed or had anyone spraying around house. They have a grassy area to graze and get grass hay. Totally drawing blank on feed name but it was recommended by vet. Thanks

Pink is from rubbing on something, or washing with something. I've noticed that pink skinned horses turn pink hair when washed with Selsun Blue!

I can't think of what, but its somewhere in the back of my mind that a deficiency or excess of some mineral can cause discoloration, but what I just can't recall (and whether that discoloration is pink/red is something else I can't remember).

The pink cannot be anything coming from him...it is from an "outside source", so he must be rubbing on something.

Our palomino sticks his head through a panel or two when in the round pen and rubs until his turns pinkish. The panels are painted red.

Yep, got a yearling Shetland that is red/brown sabino with brown mane but when he sticks his head through our pipe panels to eat he turns his neck GREEN!

Latest posts

Back