Mane trouble

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bannerminis

Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone has problems with wirey manes on a mini??

My yearling has a very thick mane and I thinned it out with the thinning scissors and of course with doing that I took some of the length so its about 4 1/2 " long but for some reason it sticks out to the side and its really really coarse hair. When I washed her I soaked it and platted it hoping the weight would drag it down but even the platts stuck out to the side
default_new_shocked.gif
default_yes.gif

Anyway at a show on Sunday the judged placed her second as she said with the way her mane was stuck up it made her neck look weak and her shoulder too strong so I dont want a repeat performance at the championships so want to try and get it sorted.

Now I am going to get her one of the lycra hoods and the next show is in 1 months time so hopefully it will grow a little more by then. I have also been putting baby oil gel in her mane to weigh it down but to no effect.

Anyway apart from the lycra hood is there anything else you could maybe recommend.

Here are a couple of pics to give you an idea of what I'm talking about and as you will see its not that short to warrant the way it sticks up
default_rolleyes.gif

These pics are from another show and she won her class but still the mane was all over the place - HELP!!

AthloneShow3.jpg

AthloneShow2.jpg

If I missed it sorry, try Ultra Hot Oil treatment to see if it will relax the hair a bit. Also - add ground flax seed and some oil to her feed. For her size, 1 Tbl ground flax seed a day and maybe 1/2 Tbl oil.

Otherwise - it sounds like she just has wiry hair.

My mare's mane does that too. Hers has been undercut to be really thin, but its so coarse that it still sticks up. I get it pretty wet by spraying water on it and gel it down. The mane tamer might work for you, but it didn't for me because she rubbs and the hair just gets stuck going all over the place. After I put the gel in it I wrap her neck with vetwrap(not tight just enough to hold it down) and let it sit. I do this the morning of the show. It'll need time to dry. The gel I use is just people gel from Wal-mart.

hiya, oh i had the same problem with Twinkle, i also undercut it, and his was so heavy that his crest fell over ,
default_laugh.png

i resolved it for the first time this year by straightning the mane,
default_yes.gif

i find the lycra hoods make the mane go wavey when you take them off :DOH!

try straighning the mane and use a serum on the mane not too much though,
default_wink.png

the difference it made in twinkles mane is unbelievable !!!!

if you really want to try a slinky ive got a spare one you can have just PM me your address and ill send it to you
default_yes.gif

see you at the championship
default_saludando.gif

braid it in little sections, with small fishing weights tied to it. I've heard it works

I had a mane similar to yours I had to undercut it as she rubbed it. I also pulled it to make it thinner. I don't like the thinning shears as it just cuts the hairs and makes them shorter to stick up even more.

Do you have one of the neck wrap sweats?

Braid it in the tiny no bigger than 1" sections, put the neck wrap on it, then the slinky over it.

I have to keep a halter over the slinky to keep it in place. I had to resort to undercutting the mane as my little mare rubbed it and broke a lot of hairs on the underside of her mane 2 weeks before a show.

Karen

Thanks for your advice - Yeah I think I will stay away from the thinning scissors and do a regular pull job for her in future.

Thanks for the offer of the lycra hood shane will pm you re that.

When you say you undercut the mane do you mean trim it with the clippers underneath?? Someone told me they did that but I was aftrid to in case it got worse.

Anyway I have lots of little tricks to try and really much appreciated.

Back