Mane Thinning

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyFriendFlicker

Reaction score
Where on Earth do I start with the mane thinning? I've never done it before. :DOH!

It depends on what you want to do with the troll, er, horse. It would helpful to have a photo of what you are dealing with. You can undercut the mane, pull it, trim it. Do a long bridle path, Heck roach the whole neck.

It depends on what you want to do with the troll, er, horse. It would helpful to have a photo of what you are dealing with. You can undercut the mane, pull it, trim it. Do a long bridle path, Heck roach the whole neck.
Here's one horrible shot of him in the calf chute. (Dorky pony!!)

mane.jpg

Eh...a bunch of these pics show his trolly-ness.
default_no.gif

http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y94/Past_VNE/Flicker/

I just clipped his body (badly, with my cheap clippers) and pulled his mane/forelock just a little. He looks better, if I use my imagination. And, this camera's settings are messed up, so the color's weird.

mane2.jpg

It looks like his mane was clipped at one point, which would explain the 2-3" hairs that are showing. He's a pretty boy!

First I would clip 1/3 to 1/2 of the mane on the side it hangs over. Then you could clip from the mane down on the other side to take care of the short stragglers on the other side. You have to be careful, but it makes it look nice.

At the point where you ended the bridle path, you can make an angle cut to make the hair lie better. That undercuts the mane, and makes it look cleaner.

Thank you, thank you! Next time I get some free moments, I'll see if I can make him look marginally presentable.

Now, about the clipper marks...am I doing something wrong, or is it because I have cheap clippers? (They're Wahl Stable Pro clippers.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to use those clippers and they did fine.

Maybe you just need sharper blades. Make sure you bathe him first. That always helps.

I use to use a pair of Wahl Chromado clippers. They weren't very good at body clipping. A good set of clippers makes a world of difference and saves a bunch of time! Never used those wahls, but after paying big bucks for mine and being dissappointed, I went and got a good set of Laubes. Haven't failed me since.

When i am doing the bridlepath, go under the main and cutt / thin thatout, called an undercut
default_smile.png
. That helps it lay down and looks less poofy.

Be careful and use your index finger and thumb along the mane you are using to keep tract of the thickness as you go down, the main naturally thins towards the withers. I was doing a rough clip a few weeks ago and playing around with the manes trying to get them where i want them and while doing an undercut i took out about 1/2 an inch of mane by accident, which shouldnt be hard to cover up in the show ring.

Latest posts

Back