mane and tails

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucky lodge

Reaction score
default_saludando.gif
Hi what is that product that makes your horses mane and tail grow or does any one no of the book by beth moore fairy tales mane and tails

default_saludando.gif
thanks for your reply what is biotin and would i be able to get in australia is that the secret in beth moores book

Hi

I have read details about what is in that so called miracle book. There was no 'one' secret. It was a combination of feed and grooming products.

I honestly don't believe that there is a product around that will give you quick, miracle results getting long flowing manes and tales.

The one product that I am really happy with though is pure coconut oil. I have been using it on Willow's out of control thick wild mane and it has tamed it beautifully. I really doubt it will get it to grow longer though.

I keep my show horses tails braided, folded and wrapped with vet wrap, and MTG. I've found that there are no supplements or miracle sprays and this is the only combination I have found that works. And even my appaloosas have long manes and tails.

MTG stands for Mane Tail Groom and you can find is at TSC or most tack stores. It smells disgusting and doesn't was off your hands for a few days but it really helps tails grow.

It will also take time. I have a gelding who has had his tail wrapped for over 2 years and right now it looks like a miniature version of a Quarter Horse tail.

Hi, Biotin definitely works (it's vitamin B7) but it takes a little time to take effect. I don't know about the regulations in Australia, but you can get just biotin alone. It's used with people, dogs, horses, we've used it on goats as well. It helps with hair, skin, and nail growth (it is supposed to help heal the gut too) - keep in mind this SHOULD theoretically increase hoof growth, both in length and thickness of the hoof wall. I've been using Vita-Biotin Crumbles here in the US since August, and I think there's already been an increase in hair growth (and his feet seem to be MUCH better, far less chipping).

Rigorous daily grooming also helps to stimulate hair growth (I comb out the mane and tail daily, and he usually gets a good vigorous session with a rubber curry comb and dandy brush). (Massaging skin is supposed to help hair grow.) Oh, and the other benefit is that my "pony" really likes his groom time.
default_biggrin.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I use MTG, and will keep a tail up for the winter, with enormous results. I actually have to trim it in the spring.

I am also a member of a Friesian horse group....as you may know, they take pride in the long manes and tails of Friesians, and sometimes you will see people refer to the "Growing Hair on Doorknobs" recipe. I have not used it, but people swear by it. Use for dogs and horses. I'll share it here....this is the horse version....the dog version is a little different. You can google it.

Hair on Doorknobs Recipe

> 1lb Peanut butter

> 1lb Missing Link

> 1lb Mirracoat

> 1lb honey

>

> Have the peanut butter and honey at room temp before mixing up. 1/4

cup of mix per 1,000lb horse a day

Guaranteed to grow hair-- even on doorknobs. If you can get the doorknobs to eat and digest this--it will grow hair!

You can get a biotin supplement or you may try a supplement called "Farrier's Formula." It's great for the hooves as well. I've not tried the crumbles that Linz mentioned, but I'd guess they are similar. SmartPack Equine has the Farrier's Forumla. You can order from them online and they will ship a 30 day supply to you packaged in daily doses specially measured for your horse. Best of luck.

I also keep tails up, but have not had much luck with MTG. The MTG seemed to irritate the bed of the mane on some of my guys and they started rubbing. To be fair, those same horses that rubbed with the MTG were the sensitive skinned type. But on less sensitive skinned horses, I've heard great things about it.

I don't add anything special to their diet, but I do keep their tails braided. I start the braid below the tail bone and I don't make it tight. I use black electrical tape to bind the braid as it doesn't stick to the hair and it is cheap. I then fold the end up and through the start of the braid, then wrap the whole thing in black tape so it stays clean and dry. I leave the tail up like this all the time. The more you comb it out the more you will break off and pull out. Through natural shedding, when I do take them out, quite a bit of hair is combed out. I also us Show Sheen when I wash their tails, to comb through the tangles. Coming from the Qtr horse world, I like the look of the straight cut bottom. Every couple of months, I cut 3-4 inches off at about 1" above the ground. I have had several judges ask me if Max's tail is real. It does actually look like he is wearing a fake tail!!!!! LOL!!!!!

Pinto-Jul-094593.jpg

I tried using MTG on his mane and it burned his skin under the mane and all the hair fell out!!!!! It was awful!!!! Please, if you use it, test it an a small area for a few days to make sure your horse is not sensitive to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use Infusium. You can buy it at WallMart. We used it on our Arabs for years. Now on the minis and ponies.

1. Spray the infusium in and comb it thru

2. Put the MTG on the tail bone and at the base of the mane.

3. Braid the tail up, use waxed string used for draft tails and pull it thru.

4. Place a nylon stocking on the tail and vet wrap or tail wrap.

%. Wait two weeks on the tail and repete.

I am going to add the Biotin too. I have it hear . I use DAC Foundation Formula. And we too end up trimming tails!

I put the MTG in the horses mane every night! Becareful not to use it in the day, it can burn.

And I only use Infusium and Baby oil Gel on show days.
default_wink.png

Easy way...braid the tail, fold it and keep it in a child's tube sock. Cut the top of the tube sock from the top down about four inches. Turn it inside out and put your hand in, grab the braided tail and pull the sock over the tail, take one cut piece and pull it through the tail at the top of the braid and tie it in a knot...I have a whole bag full, take one dirty one of, put a clean one on and wash them...cheap and easy. One mini wears a medium childs because her tail is so thick, the other a childs small....I also use Healthy Hair, but if you want a very long and pretty tail, the trick is keeping them for stepping on it when they get up from lying down. I use a large rubber band when I fold the tail in half because if I don't the sock becomes stretched out and a lethal weapon when they swat a fly..like getting hit with a baseball bat, lol..

Latest posts

Back