managing mud!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jandy

Reaction score
We are coming into winter (New Zealand) and high rain falls where we live (sub tropical). Up until now our paddocks have only known alpacas and not hoofed animals.

I like to take crystal out of the paddock evening / nights so she isn't grazing 24/7. She has a walk-in barn with a corral area where she goes at night, but the corral area is now just thick mud. I have extended the corral to allowing her the race leading to the paddocks, but this is turning to mud as she paces, waiting to get back into the paddock. Any suggestions of suitable material to perhaps lay down in the corral area that is safe and basically worth the effort, or do we just live with the mud?

no problem with erosion, totally flat. It is volcanic soil so drains fairly well, but we have high rain falls in our area over winter - 32mm Saturday and another 25mm Sunday.

I'm interested in why she paces all night - does she have plenty of hay to eat through the night - is she trying to return to her companions (or does she live alone)? To find the reason for her pacing may help with reducing your mud problem somewhat.

Mulch might help. You'll probably need to replace it every year though (might get expensive).

Hi AnnaC

During the day she is in the paddock with her alpaca friends. Unfortunately until she has her foal in September she is the only horse we have, and thus alone at night. She has plenty of hay but is basically lonely - I could set up a hammock in the corner and sleep over, but, well, maybe not !!

Even though it is the start of winter we have a lot of grass in the paddock and being the good "new" mini owner I don't want her overeating so thought it best to bring her out of the paddock overnight. She really misses her buddies at night, so paces the fence waiting for "gates open" time ... (personally, I think the alpacas like the peace and quiet of an evening
default_pray.gif
without "crazy" horse around)

- NewToMinis - I thought I of mulch too... there are some well worn spots that become small troughs when it rains, we mulch all our own lawn clippings, so having a brain-wave moment, I filled in the holes with the mulch. Crystal decided that was kinda tasty, chewed up a bit of it, and then it became a fun game to dig out and spread all around - making even more mud and mess.

Perhaps its me that's more worried about her being in thick mud... ?? maybe she ain't so worried at all. You kinda just want a nice home environment for them and I hate the idea of the foal being up to his/her knees as a new born.

I put sand down in my small paddocks and round pens, and basically anywhere the horses' foot traffic will create mud (gate openings, at the water troughs etc.) I find that mason sand or wash sand drains nicely, packs well so it is not too "soft" for them to walk on (they do not like feeling like they are sinking). I like the sand too because it keeps the underside of the hooves clean and dry, mud brings thrush and other hoof ailments. Just be sure to check her manure monthly for excess sand and feed psyllium if necessary if you do put sand down.

Grass has more sugar during the day. You may want to turn her out at night instead to graze. Not sure this applies to your part of the world, but good information: http://safergrass.org/

I'm running into this now, as we are having deluges. The grass is green and lush and the horses only have one dry place to stand.

Mud is not a normal situation for us, but I do have pea gravel in a couple of areas of heavy traffic--through gates and in front of my hay barn. This is good stuff, but it wanders. When this water dries up, we intend to raise the floor of the horse motel with sand. It will take a lot! Our County sells sand. A dump truck full is about $20--plus $60+ to have it hauled.

Not sure what materials you have available there. It isn't bad for their feet to be wet. It is actually good. Not standing in muck, but some mud is not bad. I can understand your not wanting a deep rut worn in your paddock, and worrying about her pacing.

I have been taking mine out onto the dry road every couple of days lately--not only for exercise but also to dry their feet out a little.

Also, I've seen carpet used. Turn it upside down so the jute backing is on top.

Thanks Amysue and Marsha...

Great ideas. I had given pea gravel a thought or two, but been put off by a well meaning friend who advised against it with mini's. Not sure I understood her thinking but decided I was a newbie to mini's and hoofed animals. Hadn't even given sand a thought, I like that idea around gate openings etc., and it is an easy to buy commodity here. I'm thinking the alpacas will like both of these ideas as they are not too excited about the mud their crazy friend is making. With only pads and no hoofs they do zero damage to the paddocks.

Yes - grass sugar applies here too. During the summer I did try to keep her out of the lush paddocks during the hotter parts of the day, letter her in with the boys early morning and late afternoon / evening. All our paddocks are Kikuyu grass (sth african).

The upside down carpet has given me an idea for the barn once the foal is born. The floor is dirt, I cover this with hay - but it gets really dusty. We had our house carpeted 7-8 years ago and they measured one of the bedrooms incorrectly - so we have a whole room lot extra, stored up in our garage loft
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back