Mama had her baby mule!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~Karen~

Reaction score
We have a Mule baby!!!! A little colt.... I'll leave the color as a surprise when I get to see it with my own eyes and take pictures! She had it while we were at work... I am SOOOOO thankful there were no complications! Angels were all around I am sureThe mama has accepted it and that is awesome, being her 1st and being a muley
default_smile.png

He was born early on because he was all dry and the placenta stuff looked like it had been out for quite a while he said.

OHHH... I can't hardly wait to see them! Hubby called me as soon as he got home and saw it. Can't believe how excited he sounded and bragging on his cuteness.

Here is a question or 2 or 100...LOL.....

1) Hubby said that she doesn't show much for a milk bag. Is this normal? Can a baby keep it sucked "dry"

He is nursing (or attempting) and she is allowing it.

2) WHAT do I do nowwww!!!!

1) give mama and baby sot of Pen. (how much each?)

2) give mama and baby shot of tetinus antitoxin (how much each?)

3) Is it too late to iodine the umbilical? Is it necessary this late?

4) get a bag of powder colestrum? Is it necessary to use sterile water and does it need to be warm or room temp if I need to give it.

5)......???? WHAT ELSE?

I won't be around the computer here shortly, and won't have acess, so I need answers ASAP. Thanks you all in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on your Mule baby! I am looking forward topics!

I dont know the answers but I am sure others will give you great answers!
default_yes.gif

First CONGRATULATION! I look forward to pics.

Second, ....deep breath. You can still dip the navel and should (it should be dipped at least twice in the first 24 hours, some people dip it again on day 2)

Some mares don't show as much of a bag as others. How often is he going to nurse. If he nurses more than once an hour or so you probably have a problem (that is if he actually tries and isn't just tasting for a second ;) ) You might want to call your vet for a consult. If that baby seems energetic I would say he's getting his milk. You could also try to milk her a little and see if she has anything. If you feed him he may not nurse enough to bring her milk in and you don't want that either. Good luck

Thank you... hubby says he is certainly energetic... kicking up his heels. Already?!!?? LOL

We'll keep a watch on his nursing to see.

I know that I do NOT want to bottle feed if I don't have to. Every 2 hours for 3 weeks sounds very exhausting and I couldn't do that without seperating him from his mommy.

How do I determine how many cc's for the shots? Would it hurt to wait until next Tues. or Wed. to give the shot when I can call the vet while they are open?

I've probably missed you by now, sorry I was out working with my horses. I see no problem in waiting ion the shots if Mom has been innoculated. I have never personally given shots at birth altho there has been some discussion here on LB (today actually) about the tetanus shot.

Congrats on a little longears! Can't wait for pictures! Here are my answers to your questions, as I understand from my vet. I just had a little filly, so am also going through this
default_smile.png

1) Hubby said that she doesn't show much for a milk bag. Is this normal? Can a baby keep it sucked "dry"

He is nursing (or attempting) and she is allowing it.

Not all mares have large udders. See if you can get any milk out of both sides. See if the baby is actually "swallowing" by feeling his throat when he nurses. If everything is there, should be fine.

2) WHAT do I do nowwww!!!!

Make sure you take the mom's temperature once a day, since you didn't have a vet inspect the placenta for any missing pieces. If there is a tiny piece retained inside her, she could get an infection. You can't give preemptive antibiotics, as it's not the healthiest, so just take the temp for a few (five or so) days. If the temp spikes over 101 or 102ish, be aware you may need the vet out.

1) give mama and baby sot of Pen. (how much each?)

No vaccines necessary. You ideally should give a full vaccine one month before foaling. Otherwise, if you have to give ANY medication run it by your vet. You SHOULD however give a dose-by-weight of Ivermectin wormer the day she foals.

2) give mama and baby shot of tetinus antitoxin (how much each?)

You may want to have your vet give Tetanus, depending on when your mare was last done. Foals are generally not given any vaccines until they are four months old. The Tetanus vaccine is the same dose for any size horse.

3) Is it too late to iodine the umbilical? Is it necessary this late?

My vet says that iodine is "old school" and a little too caustic for foal navels. He gives me a little bottle of Nolvasan solution to dip. He has me dip three times a day for 3-4 days. Fun.

4) get a bag of powder colestrum? Is it necessary to use sterile water and does it need to be warm or room temp if I need to give it.

This will be something you will have to discuss with your vet. You can get an iGg test to see immunity levels. This is the only way to see if your foal got colostrum or not.

Generally everything goes well. I have my vet out to see the new baby between 12-24 hours if I can, and I ask him all the basic stuff you are asking, except he has the medical history on my mares and can SEE the baby and mare in person. He gives me the Nolvasan and anything else I need, administers whatever injections I might need.

Good luck and post some pics!

Andrea

Edited to add: I saw Reginmaker Minis said that if your foal nurses more than once an hour there might be a problem... but the two foals at my place nurse about ten times an hour at least! Every time they run or sleep or get a drink of water or anything they nurse. Sometimes it's more a comfort ritual rather than just sitting for five minutes and actually eating.

Last edited by a moderator:
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

Congratulations on your little longear! Glad to hear they both are doing well. Sounds like he's already a little pistol! Waiting patiently (well, not so patiently!) for pics!
default_new_multi.gif

Disney horse I salute your rather more thorough and better explained answers!
default_worshippy.gif
As to the nursing more than once an hour give or take, I agree some foals want to nurse alot more often, my statement was based on her concern that the mare might not have sufficient milk and I was more meaning if he seemed to be constantly trying to find food he might be getting shorted. That being said I have had foals that nurse about every 10-15 minutes for a short time if they aren't napping and others who go much much longer and then take more and both are healthy. I did suggest a call to the vet too since I can't actually see the mare or foal.
default_yes.gif

Congrats, hope all is going well with your new little one and Mama!

My new little foal also nurses frequently, just a little at a time. I was a little concerned but my vet said that's pretty typical, and she seems to be doing well.

Holy Cow!! Get us pictures fast ... I can hardly wait to see him.
default_aktion033.gif
default_laugh.png

Thank you all for such awesome responses! I appreciate them all very much.

Her milk bar has grown some now, still not large, but sufficient. She is such a wonderful mommy! I am so proud of her! She is so proud of her baby. :)

All of my concerns have now settled down. He is full of spunk and energy... yesterday he ran circles in his pen, mam looked like she was lunging him, the way she was walking in circles! When he stopped, he was huffing and puffing, caught his breath a little and took off again! So funny to watch!

He is loving human attention and mama is comfortable with anyone we bringinto her pen, but we do keep it quiet when visitors come.

I set up pictures over in the mini donkey page for everyone... would love to have to come by and see him!

Again, thank you all for such wonderful advice!

Latest posts

Back