Male Anatomy

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lil Timber Buck

Reaction score
Any of you with colts...when does their male genitalia become visible? I would have thought by now it would be. The vet said he felt one....I don't see it. Is it internal still you think? We are right at 6 and a half months. Thanks!!!!

And this is what I run into....arguing arguing arguing....Forum Discussion about the topic
default_1857272.gif

They should have them at birth. However, its now winter, so many hold them up high and close to their body. If your vet felt one, then I'd just wait for warmer weather in the spring, and then they should be more visible or at the very least easily felt.

my colts 9 months old i felt both last week but last night i couldnt feel any i havent ben able to SEE anything but then again in 3 inch long hair i probably wouldnt

Try not to worry too much right this minute. Its cold. He's got them sucked up! Come spring they will probably be shinning!
default_wub.png

Someone told me if you cut them to early...they don't get their "stud muscles" and They get taller and lankey looking than waiting till they are 2 or so....any truth to it?

Thanks for the advice! Sucked up...HahaHa you guys crack me up. I suppose all males suffer from this in the cold months :). My vet told me that a crypt is an undesirable trait on a stud (duh) so now im worried since he only found one. However you guys made me feel better about it! THANKS! And here is to hope that in the spring the "man parts" will abound! Lol

So far in 30+ years in the business, my family has never had a crypt. Even when I think I can't feel one, my vet always can, it's just very small or the colt is being shy
default_smile.png
so I never worry about gelding a colt spring of their yearling year. All of mine are born with two as well by the way. On the other forum someone said with over 200 horses they only had a couple born with both? I find that highly unlikely and if it's true, that's just plain scary.

At that young of age it would be very hard to see it, especially this time of year with it being so cold. You have to feel for them. They may just be very small and hard to find as well. I would worry yet about him being a crypt.

Heather I'm not sure if thats true or not. I'm sure they aren't full of it that most stallions are and I've heard they do grow faster but I'm just not sure about all that. I know all of my older geldings continue to grow. My 33" pernament mini who I haven't measured for more then 2 years he went to a show and measured 34" and my 32.75" measures 33.25". I think its more of a positive to geld them early but the only con is you much know if the ring is fully closed, if not it could be bad if you geld them real early. My one gelding who I gelded as a weanling who was gelded too early because his ring was't fully closed and almost lost him he looked great as a jr horse.

It depends on the horse. Some are shy and hide them (suck them up - which stallions do when breeding) and some are proud like our 7 day old colt with the biggest set I've ever seen on a foal! your vet should be able to ultrasound to see if its actually there or a cryptochid.

I JUST had this issue show up at my place yesterday. I had my one of vets out (its a practice of three) about 6 weeks ago when my colt was a little under the weather. At that time they could only find one, but said that because he was going through a growth spurt and lanky that it can happen. Yesterday we had the vet out for spring (haha) shots on the colt, and they could only find possibly one, defiantly not both, and they actually recommended booking him for crypt surgery and recommended a few places that do it. After they left I was in tears for a couple hours. This guy is supposed to go out with the trainer as a gelding in March (thats why we were doing his shots now, because he was to be gelded in february) and I got him on a gelding contract, so wanted to get everything squared away with that. To be honest, I didn't have the

$1500 sitting around right now either. Well, I did, but it was in our emergency fund, and my worries were that I would have the surgery done, then of course a horse would get hurt or something and I would be cleaned out.

I ended up talking to his breeder, my trainer, and a few close friends, and I decided that although against my vets advice, Im going to try to wait it out. He was fully descended as a foal, so hopefully they come back down. I have him running in a bachelor herd, its been very cold outside, and he is very, very stressed about the vet, and in general, stressed with even me prodding around down there. Ive decided that as young as he is, I dont want to have a major surgery done if theres a chance they might come on their own in time. If it needs done, we'll have it done, but right now, Im not sure it needs done.

Say it with me. Testicle. Rofl.

This just made me chuck because on another forum I got negative repped for using the word penis when I was talking about my gelding. And here you were trying your best not to say a technical word.

Ha ha Tremor.
default_laugh.png

I had a colt who's ''wheels'' didn't appear until he was 2 and then would come and go. He was gelded with no problems at all.

I have always wondered about this in the past. You can wait up to 2 years before they stay dropped.

Teeheehee this is so fun! Thanks for the great advice! Apparently there is a lot of thought put into their "man parts" Wheels" or whatever cute name you can think of to not offend :) I will take it all to heart and know that we have a good year and a half to wait for the final word. The vet is coming out Friday and I may have her check just for the heck of it :)

GUESS WHAT!?!?!?! We found two BAZONGAS today! YAY!! I can quit worrying now!! WOOHOO! I have a little man now awe....
default_biggrin.png

GUESS WHAT!?!?!?! We found two BAZONGAS today! YAY!! I can quit worrying now!! WOOHOO! I have a little man now awe....
default_biggrin.png
Yay! I remember the day I knew I had found two on Kinson. He had both present at birth but was an expert at hiding both, then always hiding one. I gave him time and he did fully drop. The Scott Creek article was the best piece of mind I had when worrying about him being a crypt.

Come to think of it.. I'm pretty sure the day I saw and confirmed both were present I snapped a picture to post on facebook. My non-horse friends weren't very appreciative but I was super excited! I caught him when he was totally relaxed-flat out on his side sleeping. He's never had a problem with me rubbing and petting him when he's down so I took the opportunity to have a peek ;)

Latest posts

Back