Making Soap

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I thought I'd start a new topic for this, as I know there are other soap makers here.

I used a recipe from A Simple Life magazine from 2011. But there are dozens of recipes on the internet. I have an old soap making book with photographs and helpful tips, which I also used for reference.

I found out that most "soaps" nowdays are not soap, but rather detergents. Soap has to have fat and lye. Goat milk can be the fat, or coconut oil, or olive oil--lots of varieties there. But, as my soap book says, anyone who says he can make soap without lye is "lyeing".

Because it had been so long since I'd made any before it was quite messy! If I do it again sooner I'm sure it would be easier and tidier.

The soap is in the mold right now, but as soon as I cut some I'll share a picture or two. Now I have to clean up the mess. O dear!

I used my iron pot, but it didn't have any rust in it, so my soap is lovely and white. I even used rainwater, hoping to add a little color to it. I was hoping for a more primitive look. I did add lavender buds to it, so it has some texture.

Other soap makers may chime in with recipes and tips.

Oooo goody! Thank you. Interesting about modern soaps being detergent--wonder if that's a link to my eternal skin problems?

I'll be looking forward to other comments, pictures and to learning. RUB A DUB DUB

Would you kindly share the recipe. how much fat to lye, and what are some more additives for fragrence, texture, etc. I have a electric stove will that work?

Here is the recipe I used from A Simple Life magazine, spring 2011.

3# lard or coconut oil (I used lard)

2 cups cold distilled or filtered water (I used rain water)

7 ounces of lye powder

This is a perfect amount for the 9 X 12" box I used for the mold.

The directions are lengthy, so you might check the library or internet sources. This recipe suggested 3 T of ground sage, but I used lavender buds. The herbs are stirred in right before it is poured into the mold. Fragrances are added after the soap sets up; you have to remelt it to add fragrances.

The book I have is called "The Art of Soap Making" by Merilyn Mohr. It has lots of variations on ingredients, types of soap, additives, and history.

DO NOT USE DRAINO!!!! My friend could not find lye so she brought Draino, which used to be lye but is now something else. We nearly were asphyxiated when she poured it into the water. We all had to run out of the house, open the doors, and then carried the seething liquid outdoors. I have a heavy-duty exhaust fan in the kitchen and it finally cleared the fumes out.

I used a hot plate on my island to warm the lard. Doesn't take long. It takes longer for the lye/water to reduce in temperature. The lye fumes were not offensive at all.

My soap is setting up nicely. I may be able to take it out of the mold tomorrow. I'll take a picture.

I rinsed the soap pot out outdoors with the hose, on the gravel drive--not near plants. It wasn't too bad to clean up everything.

I unmolded it tonight. It is beautifully smooth all through, so we had the correct ingredient proportions and mixed it properly. I think I cut the bars a little too large. The soap is whiter than the photo shows. You can see the lavender in it. Now it has to cure for at least 3 weeks. I will keep a few bars, then wrap the others in cheesecloth for the museum to sell.

2014soap.jpg

Where do you get the lye? I always thought lye had something to do with ashes. (Guess I need to come out from under my rock and 'net search it :-o !)

Do different ashes make different lye? Is one better than another?

Rats, have to go to work!! LOL

Everyone have a positive Friday, peace out!! :)

Julie

You can get lye at hardware stores. It could be in the plumbing dept. Lye used to be made from wood ashes in pioneer days, but the commercial production of it is very old--mid 1800's, at least. Only very isolated soap makers after that made their own. I don't think it is hard to do, just time consuming. I'm sure one could find a YouTube on how to do it.

I got a thank you note from one of the friends about the bar of soap. She was so pleased, it made the gift even more fun. She said she had already used it.

I bought some more lye today, and a friend who raises milk goats is going to save me some milk, so I can try goat's milk soap. I'll have to study some recipes.

A friend who also made soap had her batch turn out poorly. She said she did not measure accurately. So I guess measuring is very important.

Marsha, you are so smart to do this. I use nothing but goats milk soap and I buy off of Ebay. My last orders totaled to around 60 bars! I find the best prices possible which is usually just wrapped in plastic wrap to save money for the buyer. Some did not even have wrapping, just bundled in plastic bags. Works fine for me, but if I am including a bar in a gift I try to wrap it up in cloth. I used to order on-line from a lady that wrapped hers in little soap bar sized pillow case looking pouches from fabric scraps before I started looking for bulk bargains. I have paid as much as $4.50 a bar from a local maker that has a terrific selection before I started bargain hunting. So yes, I love soap! My favorites have frankincense and myrrh in them and tend to be more expensive so I rarely indulge on those. The "bag" of soap we have been using out of for almost a year is honeysuckle. The only other soap one would find at my place would be a bar of Lava Soap out in the barn/shop building. No store bought soap here ever again, unless of course the goats milk kind.

Latest posts

Back