Making Rope Halters

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Wolf Ranch

Reaction score
I am curious to know if anyone could point me in the right direction of learning how to make rope halters for miniatures and riding horses alike? Is there a website, or is there someone here on the forum that could "instruct" me on how to make them?

I would really like to get to know how to do this as myself and a friend are wanting to learn.

Thanks so much!

EDITED TO ADD:

Also, are rope halters safe and productive for use with miniatures? I would think that they would be but would like to be sure before diving in....thanks again!

Last edited by a moderator:
OOH! I can help with this one! Go to Natural Horse Supply, they have instructions. www.naturalhorsesupply.com/tiehalter.shtml

I have made many for my girls. I had to tweek the measurements on the pony size for the minis. The hardest part is the double overhand knot. I found good instructions with horse Owners Success Books online. Just google the knot and pick the instructions you can follow.

Lowes and sometimes Walmart has cool rope with neat colors to make them. I use the 1/4in or 3/8in size (I can't remember which it is) It's only about $4 for enough to make at least 2 or 3 halters. It's strong, wears real well, and can be washed in the machine easily.

Some folks love rope halters, some hate them. I love them! You can see so much more of the horses face, and they are good for training. The important thing is to get the fit right. They sit different than regular halters.

Good Luck!
default_saludando.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't help on how to make them, I buy them. Love rope halters will never buy a nylon webbing halter again.

Latest posts

Back