Maidens

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taya

Reaction score
My maiden mare is pregnant and just wanted to know a few things regarding this.

1. When do maidens start showing a belly? (on average)

2. Is there anything I should know about maidens that differ to experienced broodies?

3. What do you go by with due dates for minis as ive heard mixed things. 320, 335?

default_smile.png
Thanks

Taya, I put my mares in the foaling stall/under camera starting by at least 300 days, because they can foal that early! Here I've had one foal as early as 313 days, and as late as 352 days.
default_wacko.png
Average is 330 days, but I would be prepared earlier than that.

Maidens do not always show foaling signs, they don't always get milk until after foaling. At first they might be afraid of the wet little critter coming after them to nurse, or not like the feel of them nursing, but most of the time maternal instict will kick in.
default_smile.png

As for when they start showing, I'm not sure it probably varies depending on the horse's conformation for one. They will not have the "sprung" belly of an older broodmare. I'm sure someone else will chip in with this estimate!

Thanks Kim for your help on both of my topics
default_smile.png

I purchased a foaling alarm as I dont have cameras.

Have also just looked into the milk tests strips. (hopefully they will have some to test leading up)

They really hate their udders touched !!!!! have started the last few days trying to get them used to it. Its going to take along time I think.

352 days - I think ill go insane by then lol

Thanks again
default_smile.png

1) Thay may not show a belly!
default_wink.png

2) They are really hard to read
default_biggrin.png
Lots of waiting!

3) Could be ANY time after 295 days
default_new_shocked.gif

Have fun
default_saludando.gif
I may be in the same boat next spring... If not then 2010 with a few girls.

We're still counting for our maiden mare (Whisper), who today is at 343 days. LOL, my hubby keeps asking me if I'm SURE she's pregnant??? YES, as I've felt the foal kick vigorously on many an occasion. She was shown last year, and when we brought her home from AMHA Regionals, we decided to breed her by hand twice to our jr. stallion - if she took, great. Well, she took! She hardly looks pregnant, but is just a little bit chubby now these past 3 weeks. I'll have to go out and take a photo today so you can see what I mean. She has NO bag, but Whisper has figured out that belly scratches are heavenly, but scratches a little further back just in front of her teats are even better. (Hoping to desensitize her for a foal fumbling around down there...at first she wanted nothing to do with hands "down there", but now...
default_rolleyes.gif
). We're watching her like a hawk, needless to say, and have been since day 295. We're rather tired.
default_wink.png

I purchased a foaling alarm as I dont have cameras.
I HIGHLY recomend buying a camera! You can get one for $40 at Radio Shack. Trust me, you'll be glad you did!!! The alarms go off anytime the horse lays flat. Getting up to check on your horse several times a night gets old, FAST! With a cam, when it goes off, just look at the TV. I have a small TV in my bedroom that is just for my camera. I keep it on year round, I like being able to look at my horses if I hear something outside ;)

Jessi

Lots of good advice..........

Maidens don't always get a belly until very late into their pregnancy.......same with their milk.

If you have a breeding date, I would start watching her a month in advance.

A camera is almost A MUST....even more important than the "beeper", especially if you had to choose only one. We've had our Beeper Alert go belly up, but having the camera working was our saving grace because we were able to set our clock alarm every hour or two and check.......But having BOTH is wonderful.

Didnt realise the cameras could be that cheap! Thanks
default_smile.png

Was worrying about the beeper as my mare lays flat alot anyway when shes having a rest. Id forever be running out checking on her.

Thankyou all for the advice !!

Bluewater goodluck with your mare
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back