Maiden Mares that didn't look big when they foaled

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alisha514

Reaction score
So we are still debating if our mare is in foal or not. She just really isn't that big at all, she has a belly but not like I would expect of a mare that is going to foal soon. She is due June 19th. This is her first if she is pregnant. My other mare when I bred her to my stud didnt get all that big either. She is an experianced mare and was bigger with the one foal from a different stud then she was with my stud. So I am wondering if the maiden is doing the same thing just not getting that big.

So tonight I noticed she is getting soft in her hind end and her udders are starting to develope. I have been checking them every day to see if there is any difference just to make sure. Well tonight there was a noticeable difference. SO what I would like is to know if you have had experiance with maidens not really getting big and if I could see those that didn't really have a belly what they looked like before the foaled.

I need some help im going
default_wacko.png

Alisha

Alisha can you post pics of your mare? My maiden mini may just be about 35 days in foal so I am sucking up as much info on Maiden Minis as possible.
default_yes.gif

My mare went 356 days. This is her at about 335, when the other 2 were foaling! It was the third year we had tried for a foal from her. (Pleasae excuse her dread knot.
default_unsure.png
default_no.gif
, it was taken care of after this)

gal13.jpg

Her udder was bigger than a "non" pregnant mare but it was hard. She never got a loose rump, never really "dropped". She seemed uncomfortable one evening and the next morning the foals was there, dry and all ready nursing. Granted, he is a tiny little guy anyway. If I didn't know better I would say he was a preemie.

This is her last winter in her woolies. Looked about the same as this year!

gal07.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Casi at 347 days. She foaled at 368!

casi347days4-22-8.jpg

casi347days34-22-8.jpg

casi347days24-22-8.jpg

And then the day before she foaled

casi367days5-12-8.jpg

casiudder367days5-12-8.jpg

Cocoa at 340 days, she foaled at 347

cocoa340days4-22-8.jpg

cocoa340days54-22-8.jpg

cocoa340days34-22-8.jpg

And 5 hours before foaling

cocoa5hrsbefore4-29-8.jpg

Jessi

I will try to get pictures tonight of her. She honestly looks about as big as all the ones you guys have posted just not Ving as much yet.

Alisha

Latest posts

Back