maiden mare, unknown due date

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you breed her again, try putting a bell on the foal. We have a mare that is blind in one eye and going blind in the other. When we asked about breeding her, several people mentioned bells.

Sorryy for your loss

And you have a right to every one of those feelings... Getting rest and sleep usually always helps to feel a little better, I hope you get a good nights sleep.

So sorry about the loss of your foal. It is so discouraging to wait all year for their arrival then to have something go horribly wrong. {{hugs}}

Thank you everyone.

The bell is a good idea except, I am thinking (from how I found the filly and her condition) that the filly was laying down sleeping when the accident occured, therefore a bell would not ring alerting the mare to her whereabouts. I closed the barn up so that the other animals (pigs, goats and horses) wouldn't be able to bother her which makes the barn pitch black. I never even thought about it but awhile back I noticed she would run into things after dark, things I could still see. When that barn is closed I can't see my hand in front of my face. We have solar lights but they don't last all night. If I do this again I am going to make a stall close to the house so I can have a light in it just for her. My next question would be when could I safely separate her from the herd without her getting upset causing her to abort. Oh my, just to much to think about but it's keeping my mind somewhat off of my heartache.

We'll we're here to support your decision, and it sounds like you're coming up with a plan! As to separating her from the herd, during her last trimester, when her pregnancy is well established, you could start bringing her in to get adjusted to her new stall. It could be in the daytime, so she learns the area, and then little by little increase her time as she gets more comfortable with her stall surroundings.

Remember, there are many make-shift things you can do to give her a safe place to give birth and bond with her little one, so if you decide to try again, we're all here for you!! I'm sure many will have ideas on how to give her a safe place with some light to help her the next time.

So sorry to read this , Take care Dianne, sending best wishes
default_smile.png

So very sorry to hear about your tragic loss - is your little mare ok? I think your idea of a nearby stall and a light would be the answer if you decide to breed again - and no reason why you shouldn't in my opinion.

Sending ((((HUGS)))) to you and your little mare.

I'm very very sorry for your lost
default_sad.png
, if you are looking for a cheap way to have light at night in your barn get 1-2 solar panel with Led lamp attached to it , i paid mine 45$ and the light stays on all night and the solar panel charges well even in cloudy days. I never had any issue with it for the last years even when the temperature where -30 celcius all winter long here in quebec.

Thank you everyone for your kind words and thoughts.

Mane and Tail... I do have solar lights but after a day of good strong sun it stays on till only about 2 or 3 in the morning. I talked with my husband about all of this when he got home last night but he had hurt his back so really wasn't paying attention, but I think we have decided to try with her again and figure out a "night light" for her. I really feel this was all accidental because of her problem with night vision. The stall was also a smaller stall because the larger foaling stall flooded from all the rain we have had and was still very wet. So for next year, light and kick large racking horse out of her stall if necessary. Lol. She won't like that very much cause she really likes her stall (11×24).

Again, thank you all for caring.

Keep suggestions coming, I listen to all and mix and match for my situation. Especially if you have solar lights, brand names and where to look for them.

(btw sorry for my english hope you understand me) ... for the solar light if you want it to last longer you could switch to a solar panel that charge a batterie for boats they stay charged way longer than car batterie , if you have the type of solar panel with batteries included ( AA type ) in it well you can just change them they may be worn. If you have experience with mechanic and electricity you can get a small used wind mill or someting like that with a car alternator from a junkyard and use it to charge the batterie this works well if there is wind in your area. Or you dig and run and electric cable (expensive)

The expense of the cable is what is keeping us without electric. We can't just run it to the barn, there is a built up railroad track between the house and the barn which really sucks!

I have looked into solar panels but I can't wrap my mind around it for some reason, I need someone in person to explain and show me so I can understand what I need. Seems you just can't go buy any old panel and hook it up. Lol. I am trying to figure out how many panels I need to run what I want and that includes a big barn fan. When they start talking watts and such and having to break it down and blah blah blah that's about all I can comprehend. Lol

She'll be uncomfortable for a little bit, but with no nursing going on, she'll dry up on her own. I would still give her a small ration of grain, it won't hurt her, and just give her time. Nature will dry her up on her own.

Wow, I was wrapped up in Vicki's pony's birth and didn't see this. SOOO sorry this happened.

UGH - by any chance are you having the foal checked out? there are other things at that age that can be "wrong"... and might not have anything to do w/ your mare stepping on her. If you have already buried her, don't worry over much.

Ultimately what you do is your decision. I can't say one way or the other. I would think that belling the foal would work well... ?

Again, sorry to hear of this and hope you take care.

Diane, I am used to dealing with dairy goats and we always took them off grain and grass and just fed them hay, it helped dry them off a little quicker so I figured it wouldn't hurt to do the same with her. Trust me, she is no where near skinny. Lol. I do throw in a handful for her so she doesn't feel left out but she usually gets about a pound and a half of grain. Thank you again for all your help and kind words.

Paula, thank you. No I did not have a necropsy done. An hour before I put them up I have her on video running ahead of momma and tryin to buck and play. I think this was a very healthy filly. So I am going with accidental death (I won't go into details cause some people just wouldn't want to hear them) and didn't feel the need to go thru all that.

Again,

Diane and Paula, thank you. I appreciate your opinions and your kind words.

Paula,

I was just reading your list of horse's and your Buckeye WCF Classical Wizard caught my eye. This mare is an own daughter of Buckeye WCF Stainless Steel. Are they realated?

Cutting it back is just fine, and I love that she's not "skinny" -- you had me laughing!

Diane,

I was looking at her today from top and side, she has her girly figure back. But if you look at her from behind she still looks pregnant. Lol. Course when she looks at her self in the mirror she sees skin and bones and demands food cause she thinks she's starving to death. Lol

She's not looking or calling for her baby anymore but for about a minute yesterday she chased my poodle around trying to sniff her, I think she was trying to see if I brought her baby back to her. Made me cry again.

Diane,

I was looking at her today from top and side, she has her girly figure back. But if you look at her from behind she still looks pregnant. Lol. Course when she looks at her self in the mirror she sees skin and bones and demands food cause she thinks she's starving to death. Lol

Ah -
default_new_rofl.gif
- a little cheer!!

She's not looking or calling for her baby anymore but for about a minute yesterday she chased my poodle around trying to sniff her, I think she was trying to see if I brought her baby back to her. Made me cry again.

O, no -- that makes me sad... Here's a shared thought (wasn't quite what I was looking for...)
default_cheekkiss.gif

Paula,

I was just reading your list of horse's and your Buckeye WCF Classical Wizard caught my eye. This mare is an own daughter of Buckeye WCF Stainless Steel. Are they realated?
I don't know "Steel's" pedigree? Could be. Les & Getitia bred several different lines of ponies and mini's. I have 3 - Wizard, 'Clipse & Cheri are all sired by Graham's Little King Lee. I had another mare that was also sired by him, but she & I didn't get along and when the opportunity came to get her to someone who did well w/ her, well, 'Clipse came home in her place, LOL.

Wizard is out of an Arenosa bred mare.

Latest posts

Back