Maiden Mare udder development.....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueStar

Reaction score
We have a maiden mare that will be 300 days Feb. 21st and is already getting swelling in her glands. When do your maidens start this? Any other maidens out there due about the same time that already has swollen glands? I figure she will go early but am a little concerned....

I would certainly keep a close eye on her, it's not uncommon for healthy Miniature foals to be born as early as 290 days! Someone correct me if I have that wrong, but I'm pretty sure I've read that here before. Early development can be a sign that they will foal on the earlier side of gestation, but it can also just be a ploy to drive you insane, Haha!!

Below in my signature is a link to photos of signs of foaling, if that is any help!

Good luck and much patience to you!!

She is only a few weeks away, most of my minis foal between 300 and 320 days. They all develop differently, I have an 11 year old mare that never gets any kind of bag until AFTER the foal is born, she has plenty of milk because they are always fat little piggies, that is just the way she is. Others will bag up, it will go away, come back, go away etc. for 6 weeks! Your mare sounds normal to me.
default_saludando.gif

Is the swelling in the bag itself or is it immediately infront of her bag? The swelling infront of the bag (edema) is fairly common and will occur some time prior to the bag itself developing.

Tomorrow will be 13 weeks!!!!!!!!!!!!!! since my maiden mini mare first started getting a bag she is around 323 days today.

I was told 4-6 weeks is the average.......obviously my mare didnt listen lol

Thanks for the replies. She has me worried since she is not only maiden but VERY refined and tiny. She is 31" but so fine boned.

MA-It is just the glands in front of the bag. No bag yet but wanted to start checking her early so we do know when she makes any changes as we have no history of her being a maiden and all.

I expect her to go early but please just get to day 300+!!

Heather,

Don't count on just her bag development, since she's a maiden.......Please be sure to constantly check her butt muscles for laxness and how she's carrying the foal.

As I know YOU know, a maiden often doesn't develop a bag like a mare who's previously had a foal does. I can definitely understand your nervousness.......I get jumpy with maiden mares too.

Back