maiden mare sensitve about her udder

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yankee_minis

Reaction score
I've got a maiden mare that kicks when we try to touch her bag. I'm not squeezing or torturing her-- just trying to feel it. She hates it! I've tried rubbing her belly as 'foreplay' and she relaxes a little. But I'm still afraid I'll get my glasses knocked off my face when she bucks a little.

I worry about whether she will allow a foal to nurse... Has anyone had experience with this? I've never had one this cranky about it.

I had one last year maiden mare, we tried everything to get her to allow us to touch her udder, finally left her alone, she foaled and was the best mom, but was very over protective of her filly.
default_wub.png

Our maiden mare last year was a total sweetheart, EXCEPT whenit came to checking her udder or rubbing her belly. We too were worried she wouldn't let her foal nurse, but luckily there were NO issues when he filly was born
default_smile.png
When ever their udders become full with milk I'm sure having a foal suckle an release the pressure feels pretty good...so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just don't overdo it by messing with her too much, but if I were you I'd still try to work with her some on atleast dealing with you feeling her udder (that's what we did). Our mare got better and better, and now she just gives us grumpy faces haha...but no more threats xD Hopefully someone here has some suggestions for you if for some reason she won't let the foal nurse. I'm pretty sure I remember one post saying they tied up the mare so she couldn't bite the foal, and then let the foal suckle. Once the mare realized that the foal actually made her udder feel more comfortable there were no problems. Don't take my word on that though! lol Good luck!

You can make your maiden feel better about the whole ordeal by getting a warm bucket of water and gently wash her udder! She'll resist at first, but once she feels the warm rag on her udder she will enjoy it! Do it twice a day for a week and she will be fine when you touch her bag!

Bill

I have a mare that is ready to foal her 3rd baby and she STILL hates me touching her udder!! I just hold her halter with my free hand (safety first) and I quickly check her bag. She doesn't give me a hard time if I have her halter, she knows what's coming, although it's obvious she is not pleased with any probing. I can't blame her as she is now at 343 days and I have checked her twice daily since day 320 !!

I was genuinely worried before her first one was born, figuring I would have to protect the foal from her. But she is always a good mama and loves her foals.

So here's to hoping Mother Nature works on your favor, too
default_smile.png

My mare was a witch about touching her belly or udder. I had the same fear about when the baby came. I worried for nothing. Best momma ever
default_wub.png
Never had a problem. Her baby could do ANYTHING to this mare. Maiden or not, the mother instinct seems to kick in when they foal

Jen

Latest posts

Back