Maiden mare seems confused

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minimule

Reaction score
My maiden mare that just had her foal on Sunday seems confused. She's taking care of him and he is doing fine but she just doesn't really seem to know what to do. She feeds him and is very careful around him. I picked him up to see what her response was and it took her a minute to respond. She lifted her head up and nickered a little but that was it. Tonight I turned them out and she just wandered off without him.

Is there anything I can do to help her out? It's going to be a long time before they get out with anyone else that's for sure.

My maiden mare that just had her foal on Sunday seems confused. She's taking care of him and he is doing fine but she just doesn't really seem to know what to do. She feeds him and is very careful around him. I picked him up to see what her response was and it took her a minute to respond. She lifted her head up and nickered a little but that was it. Tonight I turned them out and she just wandered off without him.

Is there anything I can do to help her out? It's going to be a long time before they get out with anyone else that's for sure.
Can you put them in a pen adjoining another one where they can get close to other horses through the fence? Especially a stallion may help her to want to round up her foal. I have a mare here this year that is also a maiden mare, and she oo seemed more interested in eating than in her kid! LOL!

I have a mare who is like that. This was not her first foal either. She never really seemed concerned about his welfare. He would go pick on one of the other mares and run back to mom for protection. She was the boss mare so nobody bothered her. he kept bothering this one mare and decided he wanted to eat out of her dish. She would push him away with her head, but he persisted. One day he turned and kicked her! Double hooves! She is a large mare and he was very tiny. She just looked at him and then let him eat her food. She became very protective over him and when we were messing with him or taking him out she would just go crazy. His mother never seemed to care. he is a yearling now and still very feisty. It all worked out good for us. I don't think this mare will ever change and wondered what made her that way because that is the way we bought her.

Latest posts

Back