Maiden Mare question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonny

past member - Someone just shoot me!
Reaction score
I know that during spring and summer mares can have a clear fluid in the teats. I was wondering if this is also true for maidens?

I was cleaning Bonnys udder and was able to express a tiny bit out of each....

She was Last covered on May 8th. Hoping its a good sign she may be bred.

I never try to get milk from the mare until she has really bagged up and she's almost dripping.

I always worry about infections and mastitis, I guess because I am from a dairy background and maybe paranoid.

It's just my opinion and I am not an expert of any kind because I often hear people say they have expressed milk from their mares for one reason or another.

Maybe it's all right, I just wonder myself why we do it?

I just did it to see if there was anything there. It is strange. :DOH! But When I cleaned my Paint mares udder I washed the teats and it came out quite easily, she is about 5 months in foal. So I decided to check Bonny. Now I am curious....

Hate to be a downer, but my maiden 8 year old mare that I've been trying to get settled for 3 years now, quite often has a clear liquid (only a few drops) if I try to express milk. I used to see it as a good sign, but after 3 failed attempts, I dont even bother looking anymore. Someday she'll probably surprise me and drop a foal. This is year # 4 and her last heat was in May, so I'm hoping, but very cautiously.

It means absolutely nothing that you can express fluid from your mare's teats. I've had two maiden mares that were never even bred and still had fluid, and a fair bit of it too (not talking just a few drops!). Perhaps some of the others have too, but I haven't paid attention; I just happened to notice it for whatever reason on those two particular mares.

Your mare may be in foal due to a May breeding, but that would have nothing to do with whatever fluid she may have in her bag now.

Thats good to know, at least she isnt the only maiden with clear fluid...

I still have to wait another 2 weeks for the blood work..
default_yes.gif

Bonny, what kind of blood work are you having done? My vet says he can't test for pregnancy until at least 90 days from last breeding? I'd love to know about my mares sooner.

My vet said he can run a preg test at 60 days. I also read that it is better to wait till the 70 day with the estrogen tests, but the Vet says it works at 60 days.

He did say that it tests for a live fetus so I guess its estrone sulphate.
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back