Maiden mare is 368 days

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

choclat dreams

Reaction score
My mare is well over due! She has dropped a lot in the last 2 days, but she has hardly any bag. Today I noticed her bottom swollen and puffy almost like she had been rubbing it hard on something. I have heard that minis can have their babies be to large and I am very worried about it.
default_no.gif

I hope everything is ok with your girl! I have a maiden mare at 344 days today and it is nervewracking to say the least! My girl has a decent little bag and is just starting to get fluid in (hurrah!).

Is there any chance your mare ate fescue?

She is not on pasture at all. I have not had the hay tested as we have to purchase it from anyone that has good hay for sale. So I am not sure, I have thought that though. It is nerve racking to say the least I am glad that yours is getting milk. Hope everything goes well for you!!!

I wouldn't worry about not having a bag since she is a maiden mare. I had one last year with just a very little bag one morning, so I'm thinking I have two weeks or so to go, and around 5pm that day I just happened to see her out in the field when her water broke. I've been told it is quite common for maiden mares not to bag up until they foal. As for the rubbing, I don't have any suggestions other than I know my horses are all starting to shed out and they are very itchy. Good luck with your mare and hope you have a safe foaling.

I had a mare go over a year, and like you was worried about size...my Vet..who is THE BEST mini Vet IMO in Texas told me when they go over the babies are smaller and sometimes have crooked legs..they just need to 'cook' longer. My maiden mare foaled an 18 inch filly ...and did not bag up untill she foaled...and filly had good legs..short and stubby..but straight!!! I did notice she had THE biggest hoofs I had ever seen on a foal tho.....I hope all goes well for you and you have a safe and healthy foal...sooner than later!!!

We have a mare that was due on April 28th. She's on the TV right now, and man, B budget horror movies are the only things keeping me up on my watch. Best of luck with yours.

Don't panic! Maidens do NOT bag up like experienced broodmares, more often than not......as posted above.

She's getting very sensitive on her hind end which is typical. Sounds like she's close!

(Since she's already dropped, also feel her butt muscles for the relaxing. This may help too.)

...my Vet..who is THE BEST mini Vet IMO in Texas
I'll vouch for that
default_smile.png
(she's mine too).

368 days is a LONG time but it does happen and doesn't necessarily mean you have problems. I had a big mare who routinely went that long, every year, and foaled uneventfully every year. I would sure be watching her now though, can't be much longer. The small bag is normal too for a maiden and isn't always a good thing to go by. The rubbing she's doing is likely in response to the pressure she is feeling, and is also a normal thing. I've had some mares do that just towards the end, and I've had others who seem to rub or push on the wall for a couple of months.

Won't be much longer for you - and I wouldn't hesitate to have your vet check her if you are uneasy about it. Might even help things along.

Jan

I feel for you! I had exactly the same thing with one of mine this year! (maiden) She went 367 days. She didn't bag until 12 hours before she dropped baby, back end really dropped and she got very sensitive about being touched anywhere. By which stage I was out of my mind with when it was going to happen and throughly sick of all the txt messages asking if she'd had it yet
default_wacko.png

Sounds like your girl is def close with the dropping etc.

One thing I would watch for is the hoof length, my filly came out perfectly formed, straight legs but had hooves the length of a month old baby. (Which figures as she was a month late....) Farrier did them within first week and was quite surprised when I told him how old she was.
default_biggrin.png

She also was the most active foal I've ever had. She never had a sleep until she was about seven hours old and hooned around the foaling paddock. Figure she was making up for all the extra time baking. She's also growing a lot faster.

Friend of mine had same issue with baby going overdue, as well as hooves and growth rate.

Best of luck and look forward to that baby

My palomino was a maiden mare last year she had a foal last year and she wasn't hardly bagged up when she went into labor, but after she had the baby the bag was there,

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought that it was just me
default_wacko.png
We had two mares in foal-one pasture bred beginning May 15 (we bought her in foal) and the other we hand bred on May 29 and 30, so not that far apart. The one we bought foaled on March 29 and the other we are still waiting on
default_new_shocked.gif
She is a maiden and really hasn't had much of a bag until Wed night when it seemed to double in size...so we thought yeah the baby will be here soon!! But yesterday when we checked-her bag had gone done in size :DOH! so now we're STILL waiting! This will be our third foal but the first that we actually bred and planned for (last year we had a surprise foal from a mare that we had bought the summer before, no inkling that she was in foal until a couple of weeks prior to her foaling, and then the foal from the mare we bought last summer) so this foal is HIGHLY anticipated and the waiting is just about killing me!

We have a maiden mare that finally foaled on day 367. She had a small bag for a long time and her bag finally got bigger the night that she foaled. She is 7 years old and did have a hard time with the delivery as she was so tight. But we got the foal out and he was fine - and so was mom. She is a fantastic mom and has had no problems feeding her little guy.

These mares that take so long are frustrating - we had our mare on cam for almost two months - and of course you worry that there is something wrong. But some of them just need to keep those babies in a little longer than others.

Best of luck with your mare - and let us know when she finally does foal!!!!

Update on my little overdue mare. She is 373 days today and no change really. The other day the baby was kicking around like crazy, thought maybe it was getting ready. But then nothing!!! Uuuggghhh!! To say the least. I am suppose to go to Las Vegas to visit my daughter and son in law, we have already purchased the tickets. But I am very torn about what I should do. My son is here to watch her but am still wondering what is keeping this baby!!!
default_wink.png
default_unsure.png

Latest posts

Back