Maiden mare, do you think her bag is big enough?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shazzyear

Reaction score
i am a little worried after the start i had so far. here is my maiden mare. she is due 4-23-08. so far she has no milk in her teats. this morning her rear was soft. the photos were taken this morning. is this good for a maiden mare? thank you

100_1198bn.jpg

100_1199m.jpg

100_1200gh.jpg

In my opinion, she's not ready yet. But she is getting there! Her udder will likely fill between the halves and get firmer. Her nipples will spread apart too. You may have another 1- 2 weeks to go, but I would be watching her closely for any changes.

Maiden's are tricky and don't always follow the rules!
default_rolleyes.gif
Your girl doesn't look "bagged up" yet and probably isn't ready to foal for another week or so........that said, she's a maiden and all bets are off!! I had one maiden that never got milk in her teats until after she foaled(I was so worried she wouldn't have milk...but all was fine!). Her bag was full but nothing in the teats....forget test strips!! Good luck with your girl.
default_biggrin.png

A lot of the time my maiden mares don't have any milk until just a day or two (or three or four) before foaling. Some don't have any at all until they actually foal. Your mare's udder looks quite normal for a maiden mare (and very adequate).
default_smile.png

I hate to sound like a broken record in these threads - but when you say she is due on April 23 - what is that based on? How many days? If that is based on 340 days - she could well foal anytime - with little or no warning...

Some don't have any at all until they actually foal. Your mare's udder looks quite normal for a maiden mare (and very adequate).
Agreeed - going by udder size - or milk composition - is not always a good point of reference!
default_yes.gif

dont be sorry i did not think of putting the # in the post, with asked it was based on 335 days. ( i guess i am glad she does have some what of a bag to work with.)

I hate to sound like a broken record in these threads - but when you say she is due on April 23 - what is that based on? How many days? If that is based on 340 days - she could well foal anytime - with little or no warning...

Some don't have any at all until they actually foal. Your mare's udder looks quite normal for a maiden mare (and very adequate).
Agreeed - going by udder size - or milk composition - is not always a good point of reference!
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back