~Maiden Mare~ Anyones mares ever do this?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueStar

Reaction score
We have a mare that has been acting pretty normal and last night in about 6hrs or so she pooped about 6 times with the last one a little loose but not bad. She has been pooping 2-3 times overnight (8-10hrs for her in stall) and normal. She is a maiden and has a few other signs as well but not all. Now after we found these several piles she didn't poop again and still hasn't. My question is this:

Has anyone experienced mares close to foaling that will do this a few days before foaling or in most cases was it just before foaling (same day?) She is a maiden at 304 days. Pretty good bag for a maiden but not overly large or tight. Backend muscles and such are pretty soft.

Opinions? Ideas?

Thanks

First, most maiden mares do not have much of a bag. I had one who's bag I checked and felt she was still not ready, so I turned her out to pasture for a few hourse. About 3 hourse later I looked out in the pasture and there she was standing well away from all theother horses and something white was by hre feet. I ran out there to find a cremello fill tryig to stand up.

Second, all of my mares will poop and pee frequently with some of the last ones being very gooshy just before they get ready to foal. Just before, meaning within a few hours.They also act very restless, pawing the ground circling the stall, going down, getting up, peeing, pooping, pawing the ground, circling the stall, going down, getting up, peeing and pooping. You get the picture.

304 days is very early for any foaling of my mares, as mot of my mares wait the full 340+ days.

I'd be watching her like a hawk. It's early in time, but her physical description and behavior would make me think she's going to foal soon.

Thanks. I know and recognize all the signs and have foaled out several mares but.....a maiden mare and smaller one at that has be upside down and stomach in knots!! I know it is early and am worried sick but she has been bagging like clockwork though a bit early and seems to have at least read a couple chapters in the foaling book!! LOL She is about 31" but is super tiny/refined and I am a basket case! It is the not knowing her "signs" part that scares the heck out of me.
default_wacko.png
if it was one of the other mares, I can pretty much pinpoint within 3-4 hrs but this one........
default_no.gif

ETA: Oh and no more poo since 4:30-5:00 this morning. She is standing quietly in her stall, not restless. But being watched on cam.

Last edited by a moderator:
Being young and refined would worry me, but I don't think 304 is a big deal. I've had 298 day babies be up and hard to catch before I noticed them! Definitely fully cooked. Some mares just bake them faster than others, I've never had one go over 330 days, and actually consider them to be "over" if they go that far!
default_wink.png

No more progress today. If anything she went back!! LOL Of course. Most of our mares go more than 330 so this one is a bit scary but we will get through it somehow.
default_smile.png

Heather,

Being a Maiden, you are talking UNpredictable.........but you know that. Yes, watch her like a hawk. Any unusual behavior can mean something.....especially when she's been calm beforehand.

You might want to journal her behavior and her signs.........Whenever there's a change, put up a red flag. (Sorry.)

Good luck.

I don't think that is something to worry about. You have to keep in mind that the foal effect the mare's GI capacity. They need improved quality feed over quantity, because they don't have room far as much food because of the size ofthe growing foal. If the baby was sitting funny and putting pressure on her GI tract it would cause her to go frequently, and once the foal shifts, she will go back to normal, just like with pregnant women.

I've never had one go over 330 days, and actually consider them to be "over" if they go that far!
I would agree with that for the most part, mine seem to go earlier too. There's always an exception to the rule though
default_smile.png
I'm watching a 354 day maiden at the moment.

Sounds to me like just normal pregnancy fluctuation, not necessarily like foaling is imminent.....but she wouldn't be the first mare to pull a fast one LOL.

Jan

Latest posts

Back