Magnets

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shari

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am looking for some magnetic pastern wraps or bells in a Miniature horse size. I have looked all over the place and can't find any.

Hi all,

I am looking for some magnetic pastern wraps or bells in a Miniature horse size. I have looked all over the place and can't find any.
If you can't find something specific for mini horses, what about a magnetic bracelet for people? I'm assuming they aren't left on while unattended. or perhaps something for dogs. Just trying to think outside the box.

Along the lines on what Chanda suggested, I couldn't find any mini sized magnetic therapy boots, so I bought some magnetic beads from the guy at the fair who sells the magnetic therapy jewellery and stitched them into my neoprene splint boots and bell boots that I got from national bridle shop.

Good ideas. I have some soft mini bell boots that I could sew some magnets into. Now I just need to find flat magnets and figure out wither positive or Neg goes next to her leg.
I need to be able to leave them on for 6 to 8 hours a day.

Yes, Maggie ended up having Cushings/IR and had white line separation. She has had xrays twice, and it showed no rotation on any of her hooves.

I have managed to get her sound on her backs, right front is doing tons better... just having a hard time with her left front. If there is an abscess in there, the Farrier, xrays or I , have not been able to locate it.

I did get her a pair of Softride boots for her fronts.

Last edited by a moderator:
White line is tough, I'm battling it in one mare. Perhaps it's still brewing in her worst leg. Many of the issues will get better if the Cushing's is controlled with the meds, and the IR by diet. They aren't the same, and require different treatment.

White line is tough, I'm battling it in one mare. Perhaps it's still brewing in her worst leg. Many of the issues will get better if the Cushing's is controlled with the meds, and the IR by diet. They aren't the same, and require different treatment.
She has been on meds for awhile... precsend, and diabetic med. As per the blood work, her Cushings is under control, Vet is hoping in time and with the diabetic meds, her IR will be under control. She thinks the Cushings caused much of that.

Her diet is Triple Crown Safe starch forage.... it has the lowest sugars possible. (normal hay here is not that great and costs $$$ to get each bale tested)

Total dry lot.(which she hates!!! )

Going to to put her back on Hot Hoof... and ordered some magnets.

Look and see if you can get the Ontario Dehy Timothy Balance cubes, they are even tighter for sugar/starch control than the Safe Starch Forage, and have a slightly lower fat content. Supposed to be available through any place that carries Triple Crown, but I know that's not the case, cause my regional warehouse won't stock them, since they have the TC Safe Starch. Might be something to mix with the Safe Starch. Additional Vit E is helpful, as is flax: Vit e is an antioxidant and flax has good omega 3s in it. [Vit E is 2IU per pound, just use human capsules in oil, has to be in oil for good absorption. Flax is around an ounce for most minis and small ponies.]

I have those Ontario Timothy cubes (easy to get here), but they are higher in sugars than the Triple crown safe starch forage. Did a couple of blood tests (also had both feeds tested)... and the Triple crown SSF, keeps her blood sugar down better.
That and I have to soak the cubes, which makes them too heavy for me to carry them out to her, and it winter, it freezes fast.

Normally feed flax, but I haven't been able too lately.

I have two horses with Cushings(but Maggie is far the worse one), another with bad allergies... all the money goes for what they need. Of all the years owning animals I have never had this many issues to care for at one time. Scary part is... no one, had any health issues in the Pacific NW.
Seriously tapped out.

The Timothy balance cubes should be the same or lower. They aren't straight Timothy, they are a mix of Timothy and beet pulp, and we're formulated for metabolic horses. However, I do get the soaking issue.

Edited, just went and looked, they've lowered the levels since the last time I looked at the NSC chart. The SSF is lower now.

No worries,, I talked to both companies on the phone and picked which one would work best for both Maggie and I.
default_smile.png

Farrier was here today.

Said Maggie's bad foot, looks pretty much healed. He thinks it is a couple of things... she is used to hurting and expects to hurt and she needs her hooves toughened up.
With her front hooves being in boots, and all the humidity... are making her hooves too soft.
So will be putting some hoof toughened agent on them and I started taking her for 5 minute hand walks... which I will slowly increase over the next few weeks.
Once I do that, will take her boots off, and walk her on grass... and so on.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Latest posts

Back